Easy to Make Cold Smoke Generator

Re: Easy to Make Cold Smoke Generator

Postby saucisson » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Are the wood chips burnt from the top down, using a heat bead? YES
Did the aquarium pump you used provide enough pressure to blow air up through the column of wood chips from the bottom? YES
Do you have a pressure/air flow rating that can be used as a minimum? YES, I used a plug in dimmer switch and plugged the pump into that, and then varied the flow rate with the dimmer switch. This only works for some types of pump
What/how is your reservoir chamber set up? I'll take a photo
How effective is your rig in filtering/cleaning out the creosote and other nasties from the smoke? Objectively, I got a smoother smoke
If you're able to provide photos, that would be great. Incoming

I haven't used this set up since I got the ProQ CSG many years ago, but if I can dig the old rig out I will take some photos.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby gasbag » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:09 am

saucisson wrote:Are the wood chips burnt from the top down, using a heat bead? YES
Did the aquarium pump you used provide enough pressure to blow air up through the column of wood chips from the bottom? YES
Do you have a pressure/air flow rating that can be used as a minimum? YES, I used a plug in dimmer switch and plugged the pump into that, and then varied the flow rate with the dimmer switch. This only works for some types of pump
What/how is your reservoir chamber set up? I'll take a photo
How effective is your rig in filtering/cleaning out the creosote and other nasties from the smoke? Objectively, I got a smoother smoke
If you're able to provide photos, that would be great. Incoming

I haven't used this set up since I got the ProQ CSG many years ago, but if I can dig the old rig out I will take some photos.

I would very much appreciate some photos of your smoke-through-water rig.

But I wanted to ask - the smoke that came out of your rig - was it considerably thinner than the smoke that comes out of most Venturi smokers? The reason I ask is that your smoker was a top-down burn, whereas the Venturi smokers typically burn from the bottom-up, which burns fuel at a much more rapid rate - assuming that would produce much more smoke than yours. From what I have seen of the smoke from most Venturi set-ups - way too thick and dense. Wouldn't go there at all.
gasbag
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:58 pm

I haven't forgotten you :) Yes, the smoke rate was what I would call reasonable. I haven't got to the shed to dig it out yet.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing