Easy to Make Cold Smoke Generator

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:16 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

that would be 80mm, mind you the amount of smoke it generates, you might wonder :lol:

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Cold smoke generator

Postby Porky Pa » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:46 am

HI group I�m the guy that has the auction on Ebay for the cold smoke generator. Reading all your posts I went thru a lot of testing also and found that what I came up with works the best. I must have done it right if someone is trying to duplicate the design. It is a very simple design and I�m sure you can make something work . I thought I would make them for someone that doesn�t have the time or the resources to make one. Considering the time and material., I believe what I�m charging is fair. I would stay away from using galvanized pipe and nipples. I use solid aluminum for the ones I sell. Good luck and !!SMOKE ON!!
http://Porkypas.com
Porky Pa
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:44 pm

Welcome to the forum Porky Pa and congratulations on your device that spawned this thread. The price you charged was amazingly fair and I'm sure that if you lived in the UK (so that we could have afforded to pay for shipping) you would have had many orders from this forum. Please stick around and join in :D

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Cold Smoker

Postby Porky Pa » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:12 am

Thanks for the welcome. I do have the capability of making larger quantities. I can put 3 in one flat rate box for $37.00 to the UK .If someone wants larger quantities I can work something out. I have been getting a lot of orders from the UK Thanks. I have been smoking for quite a few years and always had trouble with heat and smoke combinations with this you can control both. I have smoked a turkey at 275 degrees beef jerky at 100 degrees cheese with out adding any heat . I live in Chicago and the next time the temperature gets below freezing I think I will cold smoke some butter.
Thanks Porky Pa !! SMOKE ON!! http://porkypas.com
Porky Pa
Registered Member

Postby Pav » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:57 pm

I have ordered mine from Porky Pa so should be ready to smoke in a couple of weeks. I have hot smoked foods before but am new to Cold Smoking.

What is safe to COLD smoke?
How long do you cold smoke for?
Do you need to prep the food in anyway prior to the cold smoke?
How long can you keep the smoked food for safely?

Other than Cheese being safe and Chicken probably being a bad idea I realise I know nothing about cold smoking!

Does anyone have a easy to use chart or rules to help me prevent poisoning myself!

Thanks ;>)
Pav
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:36 pm

Pav wrote:I have ordered mine from Porky Pa so should be ready to smoke in a couple of weeks. I have hot smoked foods before but am new to Cold Smoking.

What is safe to COLD smoke?

Bacon, ham, beef, venison, duck breasts so long as they have been cured first. Probably chicken too so long as the temperature is low enough. Cheese, garlic, butter, salt all take smoke nicely too.

Tell us what you want to smoke and we'll try and give more details,

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Cold Smoking

Postby Porky Pa » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:03 pm

HI Pav
If you are new to smoking it would be wise to get a book on the different types of cures and proper safe temperature. In addition to cold smoking ,meats or fish must be cooked or cured to be safe.
When in doubt cook to a safe temperature. My smoker is designed to help in the smoking process . I�m sure you can get a lot of good advice from this web forum. Thanks for your order. http://porkypas.com
Porky Pa
Porky Pa
Registered Member

Air pumps

Postby wallie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:57 am

Hi Dave, what make of air pump are you using?
Also I thought incense disks give off an perfumed output which would taint whatever you were smoking, or is there plain ones?

I am getting fascinated with this branch of the forum process.

Thanks
wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi Wallie,

These are plain charcoal, designed for you to sprinkle your own incenses on. The pump came from ebay, I'll hunt out a link for you if you are interested.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wallie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi Dave
Thanks for the reply, I am clear on the incense material now.
Regarding the pump I had a Superfish single outlet pump lying around which I tried but the air output was very poor.
How are these pumps rated is it the wattage? I would like to know what I should be looking for regarding power, I suppose single outlet would be the best.
Any recommendations on make, model and power would be very helpful.

Thanks
wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:44 pm

Hi Wallie, the larger aquarist rated pumps seem to be rated on air output rather than wattage. Mine was an oil free piston pump rated at 45 litres a mijnute at 25W. As you may have seen in the photo further back in the thread the output was far more than required and I plug it into a plug in dimmer switch to control and reduce the air flow.

here's a link to it, it was made in China (there's a surprise :))

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/45-LTR-PISTON-AIR ... dZViewItem
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wallie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks Dave
I think I will go for the 45ltre job.

Thanks again.
wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby Pav » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:41 pm

I have 2 books from the library now!

I am going to start with Cheese. Then Boiled Eggs and then Fish (Mackeral). If I am not sick I will progress to other chapters ;>)

I have the possible gift of a small portable electric oven that isn't needed. I was thinking with proka pas smoke injector fitted to the back sheet (thin gauge single sheet metal so easy to drill) I could use the oven as the smoking chamber PLUS it can be used for the final hot smoke with control over temperature.

The oven thermostat however doesn't look that acccurate starting at 100C... daft idea? / or useful??
Pav
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:59 pm

Eggs sound interesting, do you need to shell them first? The oven sounds good, if you can set it reliably with its own thermostat.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Pav » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Eggs is mentioned the book I loaned. Says its unusual but worthwhile (and as they are cooked safe for my first attempts!). It says to boil eggs by bringing water to boil then removing from heat and leaving for 15mins. Shelling eggs and then smoking. Salt /water (brine?) it describes as optional.

The ovens thermostat is fine but not sure without reading my book and testing the oven how useful it will be as the thermostat dial reads from 100C.
Pav
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing