Fresh Water Eels

Postby Fallow Buck » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:43 am

Tony,

Good luck with the fishing. I would suggest thatif you catch eels in the saltwater, (typically in the summer) they will be better than the fresh water ones, (same fish different environment).

However if you catch eels in a lake or river it is always a good idea to keep them alive in fresh water for a few days to get rid of any muddyness. For the Avon it is probably not necessary, but just thought I'd mention it.

Incidentally I would do the same with the Crays and purge them for about 2 weeks. change the water at least once a day and an air pump is always handy to keep them alive although they will climb up the tube and "migrate aruond the garage. I catch them on a mates river and we often get upto 300 in a couple of hours. It's a lot of shelling for a small return!!

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Fresh Water Eels

Postby TonyE » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:09 pm

Hi Fallow Buck

Thanks for your advice, I was considering keeping Eels for a couple of days (I still have to catch them first) Although some of the Freshwater Fisherman I am talking to on their forums have come up with some good ideas. One of them who lives about 10 miles from me, has offered to give me any Eels he catches - Sound like a good plan to me.

I am very envious of you, having the water available to catch the quantities you are catching.

I think they would be outstanding Hot Smoked in my Bradley Smoker, do you live anywhere near Calne in Wiltshire - just a thought

Regards - Tony
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:33 pm

hi Tony

Im in south london but the crays are up in Hertfordshire. Since I went there the owner has taken on a professional to rid the river of them, as they have eaten the mayfly larvae and almost destroyed the hatch. Hopefully they will make a comeback.

Good luck with the eels.

Rds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing