Wild Alaskan Salmon

Wild Alaskan Salmon

Postby saucisson » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:59 pm

I don't care if it was cheap and marked down it's now salted up and being smoked tomorrow :lol: :lol:

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:02 am

No wonder it was wild..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:27 am

Dave sounds like the way forward.

I'm looking for some wild salmon to make a side up for the wife at Xmas. I'd take sea trout if I could find it but I think it will need a trip to billingsgate at this rate.

Rgds,
K
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:40 pm

:D
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Kuma » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:42 pm

FB

I've never managed to get hold of a sea trout on my xmas Billingsgate run, even getting there just after opening - or whole cod (and roe) for that matter. Any tips/preferred merchants anyone?

The small salmon that are on sale (�7 each) are a perfect fit for my smoker and 200mm vac rolls.
Kuma
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:03 am

Kuma,

Whole cod is difficult to come by due to the main use in chipppy's needing it filleted. However I would think you should be able to find a whole Hake or something similar that in my mind is better than cod.

The only thing I have no real cares for is Coley and Pollack as cod substitutes if the fish is to be used in anything but a pie.

The real value in the market is to look at what is not really suitable to the restaurant trade. For example big Dover soles are a favourit of mine bbecause they are not portion sized for a restaurant and so are sold cheaper relative to the 1lb ish sized fish.

Freshly shelled Scallops are great value at �10-�15/kg bbut make sure you buy the King's and not the Queens. The bags that say �5 for 10 or 15 scallops are not really good value as they are often queens and thhe meats are small.

Salmon at �7/each sounds great and I'm planning to get some and do just the same as you. Sea trout tend to be in the market through the summer. Iu saw some fab fish in August September but I suppose it is a bit late for them now.

Sea bass and Brill are again my other focuses at the market and I always look for the bigger fish to get better value. It is amazing how many fish shop owners and chhefs actualy can't or won't fillet fish anymore, hence the bigger fish are not wanted as much.

Best regards,
FB
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby Kuma » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:19 pm

Thanks for that FB.

I always get 90% of what I want at Billingsgate, because I don't go that often it can be difficult to hone in on the really good buys - so thanks for the tips on species and size FB.
Kuma
Registered Member

Postby Kuma » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:05 am

FB

The same sized salmon were �9/10 this year, they might get a bit cheaper towards xmas? Managed to get a large headless cod for cold smoking �27.50 and medium sized eels at �10.
Kuma
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:53 am

Thanks for that Kuma,

I realised I didnt have a chance to get to the market soo I've gone off on a tangent. I use Wright Bros in borough Market, and ordered 50 Prestige Oysters St Claire from France with 2kgs each of some Langoustines and Crevettes, for the 21st Dec. They deliver the lot to my home for a tenner, which is cheaper than the Deisel to go and come back...

I'm hoping to get some salmon too but it is looking a bit unlikely at the moment due to time.

Was the Cod filleted or was it bone in? How much did it weigh?

Best regards,
FB
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby Kuma » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:29 pm

Sounds like a shellfish treat.

The cod was whole, head off at �10 p/kg, its just come out of the smoker with the salmon and has taken on some nice colour - the WCCS burn box full of beech and oak dust burned from 6 last night until 11 this morning, furtunately the fish didn't freeze. Eels in now.

There's always 1/2 price salmon from Tesco!
Kuma
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:04 am

Hi Kuma,

My wife is expecting so where farmed salmon is concerned she's being very careful, hence why I really need to go to the market and get some organic bought.

I have a freind on the docks near Blackpool and he has access to some excellent Salmon, which he can send down to me but I can't get to the market to collect it.

I might give him a call and see if he can arrange one of the distributors to deliver actually.

Rgds,
FB
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing