Teak Wood Smoking

Teak Wood Smoking

Postby Porky Pig » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:31 am

Is Teak any good for smoking with ? Have endless supply where I live so if anyne has tried it or knows NOT to use it I would be a great help.

Cheers

PP
Porky Pig
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:39 pm

I don't know, but I would imagine teak would be too oily to smoke with, for the same reason smoking with cedar is a no no.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Porky Pig » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:02 am

saucisson wrote:I don't know, but I would imagine teak would be too oily to smoke with, for the same reason smoking with cedar is a no no.

Dave

Dave, thanks for the info, and I understand that the oils would be a No No, but the Teak I have is SO dry its about 200 yrs old and truly sun-bleached and gone grey.

Old planks / slices from the sides of old Thai wooden houses. I would guess they have never been treated with any preservative but are showing no signs of rot.

I might just smoke some and then Cold smoke a chicken breast for a couple of hours and see what happens. Wish me luck, and I will keep you posted on the results.

PP
Porky Pig
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:10 am

You might also try cooking on the teak planks in the same way people cook salmon on a cedar board, let us know how it turns out, if you try smoking the teak,

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing