Condensation

Condensation

Postby wallie » Wed May 07, 2008 3:55 am

I have been having a go at cold smoking sausages and chicken everything went fine except for the condensation.
My smoking temperature never went over 80f but condensation was dripping pretty bad.
I have read the thread on this and I see a condenser is the way out.
But I would like to ask a question:
What causes this? is it because I am using a metal bin and would a wooden box be better?
Or is this a product of the actual smoke?

Thanks
wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Wed May 07, 2008 12:13 pm

H2o is a by product of smoke...
Try having your damper all the way open
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed May 07, 2008 4:14 pm

As Wittdog says:

Organic material + oxygen -> Water + Carbon Dioxide + Carbon Monoxide + impurities (the stuff we want).

It's exactly why water collects in your car exhaust pipe when it is cold. The colder your smoke the more likely you are to get condensation at some point in the system. With a warm external smoker such as we are running the first cold point is likely to be the smoke house, and if it is metal doubly so if smoking overnight. What are you pumping the smoke into?

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wallie » Wed May 07, 2008 5:41 pm

I was using a galvnised bin, with lid on, no damper and the smoke coming in from a container on the side.
So probably I should have a damper in the lid.
Alternatevly I have a tea chest which I might use and make a lid for it with a damper on it.
Somehow I think wood will be better than metal for cutting down on condensation.
Actually I have a 1000watt hotplatewhich I was thinking of putting in the bottom so I could use it as both a hot and cold smoker.
So even as a cold smoker should I warm it up first by swithing on the hot plate?

Thanks (Sorry about being a bit thick on this)
wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Wed May 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Wallie,
I would not heat the bin your make the condensation worse and your already at the top end for cold smoking.
Wood is better but a tea chest is thin, 18mm would be ok.
I had the same problem http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=3353 draught and insulation was the answer.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed May 07, 2008 9:44 pm

I prefer metal and condensation, I can burn it clean if all goes wrong. My worry with wood is what is absorbed. But that's just me, I haven't used a wood smokehouse so perhaps I shouldn't comment.

Dave

PS. LD did you get that DVD yet?
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wallie » Thu May 08, 2008 3:38 am

I prefer metal and condensation, I can burn it clean if all goes wrong. My worry with wood is what is absorbed. But that's just me, I haven't used a wood smokehouse so perhaps I shouldn't comment.

Enlighten me Dave, I thought condensation was something you did not want?

wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu May 08, 2008 11:21 am

Prefer was probably not the right word :)

What I meant was, if you get condensation in a metal container you can clean it off afterwards. If you get it in a wooden container it will most likely soak in (unless the wood has been treated) From a hygiene point of view I "prefer" the former. If it doesn't condense on wood then you are presumably smoking in a damper atmosphere and I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing, but generally smoking also has an element of drying.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wallie » Thu May 08, 2008 2:50 pm

Funny thing that about a wooden smoker, I live in North Shields which years ago was a very busy fishing port.
There was a big smokehouse on the quay and it was all wood even the wooden roof which had long lourves which opened and closed as dampers.
They used to do all the salmon and the herring for kippers.
When I was a kid I was in there a few times pinching a few kippers and everywhere was solid brown and the smell was beautifil.
Now it is getting converted to a fishing museum and I have looked in and the old smoky smell is still there.
So obviously a wooden smoker was o/k for fish, I do not know about meat though.
I am getting fascinated by this smoking lark!

wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu May 08, 2008 6:58 pm

Once you have a half inch layer of tar built up, I guess it doesn't matter what the smokehouse is built from :) I'm sure wood would be fine.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing