Cold smoking done, now hot smoking.

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri May 16, 2008 7:45 pm

I believe it's the part I use to make 'collar' bacon..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri May 16, 2008 8:31 pm

Thanks all.

I bought a huge pile of reduced BBQ stuff from Tescos this afternoon, fired up the ceramic heater and left it for 2 hours, absolutely gorgeous...

Pulled pork here we come :)
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:30 pm

Hay dave you tried that pulled pork yet,

We are working on the full leg, a 18 hour cook at 105 c , WOW what a incredable dish, we are entering it into the Canadian BBQ open I will let you know how it goes
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Not yet, I'm hoping to get a big cheap piece of pork to try it out on.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Hangin_Salami » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:53 pm

Hey Guys!

I want to give the pulled pork a try this weekend and was wondering what you guys think about usingf my propane smoker for a 15 hour burn. I'm guessing i would have to sleep while this is in process and not sure how long I would get out of a tank of propane. Has anyone done this with a propane smoker or do you all use charcoal and wood?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I will snap a few pictures in a little while so you can see exactly what I am using!

Thanks
CHris
Hangin_Salami
Registered Member

Postby Hangin_Salami » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:47 pm

ok here is the pics of my smoker!

Image[/img]
Hangin_Salami
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:08 pm

How big is your propane tank? :)
I ran my heater overnight on several occassions and I don't think it made much of a dent out of my 13kg propane tank.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Hangin_Salami » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:07 pm

My tank is a standard 20lb tank. I may just have to pull an all nighter for this one and catch a couple hour nap while i'm letting it sit wrapped up in foil!

Chris
Hangin_Salami
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:18 pm

I'm sure it will be fine, that smoker is pretty well insulated, mine is uninsulated steel, so if you are keeping a nice low temp in there that tank should last for days.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby lemonD » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:28 pm

Chris,
My smoker is electric now, so propane should be OK if you can hold a steady 225f-107c.
Weigh your gas bottle, fire up the smoker to 225f for a couple of hours then weigh again, that'll tell how long your get from full bottle.
Your need another shelf between the wood tray and the pork, this is to hold a large S/steel or enamel pan of water or sand, this helps stabilise the temps and catch the drippings. If your using sand cover it with foil. Water will give you a slightly moister product but will need more attendance.
This is a diagram of my smoker http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/partschematic.html you can see the relationship between the heat source (charcoal grate) and the water pan.
This is the method I use http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork1.html, one tip don't be tempted to keep opening the door to have a look, if you have to open the door say for spraying apple juice then top up the water pan at the same time, before you open the door raise the temps by 20f for a few minutes before and after.

LD good luck don't forget the pics
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:31 pm

Now you've done it, I'm going to have to buy some pork tomorrow :lol:
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby lemonD » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:45 pm

saucisson wrote:Now you've done it, I'm going to have to buy some pork tomorrow :lol:

Have a look in Asda at the pork shoulder packs, not exactly the butt but good for a first try, Makro does good shoulders.
If the shoulder has the bone out it'll be somewhat slashed about, just truss it up nice and tight.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby Hangin_Salami » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:20 am

Thanks for the info guys. I will be doing it saturday, I will definately take some pics. That picture shows my wood pan on the upper rack but when i smake, I have been placing it right on top of the burner and the drippings pan goes on the rack that the wood pan id sitting on right now. If i place another pan of water ontop of the drpppings pan (basically a cookie sheet) would that do the trick???

Can't wait to start!

Chris
Hangin_Salami
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:11 am

Hangin_Salami wrote:If i place another pan of water ontop of the drpppings pan (basically a cookie sheet) would that do the trick???

Can't wait to start!

Chris

Chris you don't need a water pan and a drippings pan (cookie sheet), the water pan will catch the drippings and placing it on the upper rack will be fine.
The water in my pan holds 3.5litre - 4litre and lasts approx 5 hours.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing