Brining meat for the BBQ

Brining meat for the BBQ

Postby milesthemeat » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:28 am

Hi all.....

Just read this article on brining meat, not for the preservative value but for flavour! Sounds good to me, has anyone tried it or got any recipes/suggestions.

http://bbq.about.com/cs/barbecuetips/a/aa112000b.htm

Also note the inclusion of saltpetre on the last page. Does this sound like a safe dose to all you pro's?

MTM
milesthemeat
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:46 am

I think 1 gram of saltpetre per kilo of meat is an accepted level these days.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby TJ Buffalo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:08 am

I have brined pork chops quite successfully before, but I haven't used any preservatives since I only brine the chops for an hour or so.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby lemonD » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:07 pm

I been brining for the last year or so, the results speak for themselves, try it.
I use 1/2cup salt, 1/2cup sugar and approx 4litres water.
Length of time in the brine is dependant on the meat.
Never had a dried up piece of meat off the grill since I've been doing it.
I don't use saltpetre.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:14 pm

I always brine my turkeys overnight nowadays, usually from frozen so the brining is part of the thawing process. I don't use any nitite/nitrate cure for that at all but I certainly wouldn't put a tablespoon of saltpetre in a gallon of liquid :shock: Having said that, when Mike Robinson dry cured venison for a couple of hours before BBQing it he seemed to sprinkle on pink salt quite liberally. I suppose the arguement is that not much will be absorbed if you are curing for a couple of hours only but in a brine a lot more might get in. I would stick with John's figure which is a happy medium between FDA and UK recommendations for an immersion cure or better yet don't use any unless you are doing a proper timed cure as opposed to a quick brining.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Bad Flynch » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:48 pm

I think that you would be quite pleased with the recipes. However, I would change them to use a sodium nitrite based cure, rather than saltpetre. The reason being is the relatively short cure time and for that, nitrite is arguably better.
B.F.
Bad Flynch
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing