knives

Postby vagreys » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:19 pm

Global and Mundial are commonly found in commercial kitchen supply shops, here in the US, and in the commercial and meat processing catalogs. They are good, utilitarian, tough knives that hold an edge. That said, I have an old set of Gerber knives, in my portable kitchen box, for cooking away from home, and I have an old set of Wusthof knives at home, that are excellent. I maintain the edges, and the edges last a long time between sharpenings.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:39 pm

The question seems to be more about butcher's rather than kitchen knives.

My kids bought me a butcher's steak knife from [url=http://www.scobiesdirect.com/Products.asp?sMethod=ProdCat&URLType=Counter&MainCat=&ProdCat=50202&CatName=Steak%+Knives]Scobies[/url]. It's superb for skinning pork joints and general meat prep: so much better than any of my many chef's knives.

I guess that one make doesn't provide all the answers. But you certainly get what what you pay for.

Having said that, Victorianox butcher's knives aren't expensive; for £20 or so, you can have a knife that will last a lifetime with care.

Likewise Global, Henkels or many of the other quality makes.

It will be interestting to see how Clivmar's Aldi ceramic knife performs long term.

However, if it's like much of their 'cheap' stuff, It will prove me totally wrong!
:D
Phil

..added:

Pauline's just told me that the steak knife was from Nisbets - but it's the same one! :oops:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:49 pm

clivmar wrote:In the Biggleswade store they are under glass at the till. They are not on general display with the other non food produce.

Thanks!

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fatmat » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:03 pm

I have good collection of knifes... more than I need but not as many as I want. I think the knife collection is part of my man / animal drive - the same one that makes me want to light fires and build a smoke house.

Wusthoff knives are fantastic - they hold a really good edge and are really well designed from a weight/balance perspective. They are also a pleasure to own because you know you've got a really good thing.

As a very reasonable second, I'd recommend Henkels knives. They are a little heavier and not quite as refined (but still bloody good).

The only downside I've found is that they are all made from quite hard steel (Global as well) and it can take a little experience to get a good edge on them. I've just invested in a ceramic 'steel' which seems to be perfect for the job and makes it a lot easier.

I guess it's a little like buying a car - a Ford will get you there but an Aston Martin will do it in style
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:15 pm

Fatmat

I couldn't agree more about the Wusthoff knives. With my Henckel there's a marked difference between the 4* and the 5*. (they've introduced further ranges, but the 5* were the top one when I bought my knives, unfortunately I couldn't afford as many of those as I would have liked).

However, for butchery work the Victorianox, I note, is what my local abattoir and butchers use. I've certainly been pleased with my big 12" steak knife.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:35 am

Fatmat wrote:
I guess it's a little like buying a car - a Ford will get you there but an Aston Martin will do it in style

Or as my Grandad used to say I've "got Rolls Royce taste on a Ford budget"
:)

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fatmat » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:44 am

Phil, - And for all UK folks.

FYI, keep an eye out in TK Maxx. They seem to have a steady stream of Henckels 'seconds' coming through. I've bought a few recently. They are a fraction of the price and I've still not found anything wrong with them.

Mat
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:21 am

TK Maxx the handbag shop? :?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby beardedwonder5 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:51 am

I can get a better and longer lasting edge on my HSS and ordinary carbon steel woodworking edges than on my ss cooking knives. And there's another aspect of this, drawn out of the fogs and mists of my memory. I think I remember reading somewhere that the molecular structure of a stainless steel edge changes if it is washed in hot water. But you've got to go with the flow, especially if an EHO is involved. (Speaking of which = about ten or fifteen years ago at ??UWisc Madison a couple of guys ran tests on plastic versus wooden chopping boards. On a morning after test, wood won hands down. But EHO's are almosr medieval, in that they start from "unassailable premises" and work down to particulars. Add to that the fact that you've got to protect your butt, and you get large numbers of people telling you that a plastic board is more hygenic. Go for stainless steel chopping surfaces, haha.)
Last edited by beardedwonder5 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:02 pm

There's no doubt that it's easier to get an edge on ordinary carbon steel, why EHO/EHP's are against them just because they discolour is a mystery to me.

I remember seeing Prue Leith point out exactly the same thing about the chopping boards. At work we even had to have wooden racking used to store tins on replaced with stainless! (in the old days of civil service catering inspectors for Gov't kitchens though, not EHP)

Phil
Last edited by wheels on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wallie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Regarding sharp knives one of the best investments I have made over the years was a diamond steel.
Even on cheap knives once you have an edge on using a stone it only needs a half dozen strokes on the steel.
I bought a cheap 10inch steak knive about 5 year ago and use it all time, after a few strokes in the diamond steel you could shave with it.
On the subject of chopping boards I find a good thick wooden one is the best as plastic blunts the knives very quickly.

Thats my twopennysworth worth anyway.

wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:53 pm

wheels wrote:TK Maxx the handbag shop? :?

Phil

Yup! they normally have a housewares section upstairs.

Now I need to decide whether to go there or Aldi tomorrow...

Any update on the ceramic clivmar?

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby zopi » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:48 pm

The cheap tramontina restaurant knives sold at Spams Klub...the santoku is the one I do 99% of my knife work with, but I have all the others, for boning and paring, plus the big honkin' one for slicing roasts...I never do anything to maintain them other than I hit them with a good steel EVERY SINGLE TIME I PICK ONE UP!

When they get to where they won't hold an edge...can them...12 bucks will get you more...
zopi
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:13 pm

I'm with Phil, Victorinox are inexpensive for a quality knife, the chef's knives are as good as the butchers knives.
Compared to Lidl's I not been impressed by Aldi's products, so remember the the Aldi 28 day promise if you purchase their stuff.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby clivmar » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:29 pm

Ceramic knife update

Well the Aldi ceramic knife is very sharp and slices ham and beef very thin. I hope to cut up a pork shoulder soon for sausages. Getting rid of the connective tissue is always a pain and will be the real test. A ceramic knife should not be used for chopping or cutting through bone and only used on a wood chopping board. So for £7.99 I’m happy. I also keep and eye on TK Maxx for Japanese knives.
clivmar
clivmar
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing