Home Smoking & Curing

Home Smoking & Curing

Postby Deer Man » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:43 pm

This little book is by Kieth Erlandson. it makes very easy reading and gives lots of ideas for building smokers, recipes etc. ISBN 0-09177825-5
It also covers the issue of using galvanised steel bins.
Safe Shooting, Good Hunting, Eat Well!
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:53 pm

Hi Deer Man

Any chance of you scanning the relevant pages for the galvanised bin's
I read on the web that there was insufficient evidence that it can harm you, But I don't want to be the exception to the rule as it were.

If we can use a galvanised bin there are some that have been turned into incinerators at Wilkinson's Stores (ie already have a chimney & holes punched in around the bottom of the side as well as the base) for �13

regards
sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:30 pm

I'm also curious to know what one should use for a wood pan to put the raw wood in on top of the heat source. I suspect you will need something fairly solid - but any suggestions are appreciated.

I want to try and hot-smoke in my propane BBQ using indirect heat. One suggestion i've seen is to wrap the wood chips in several layers of tin-foil, and punch a few holes in it. I may try this - but would like to hear other suggestions.
aris
Site Admin

Galvanised inncinerator

Postby Deer Man » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:34 pm

I have made a hot smoker from a garden inncinerator. I welded a couple off brackets to support two shelves and cut and hindged a door. WELDING GALVANISED STEEL IS TOXIC! I cut a hole in the lid and placed an oven thermostat in. I placed two bricks on the inside of the bin floor and lay a sheet of thin steel over the bricks. If you had a gas ring as your heat source you could place the sawdust on tin foil directly on the bin floor with the gas ring underneath. This would create enough heat to hot smoke. A drip tray is required to stop the sawdust from getting contaminated with fat and oil. This could be a simple tin foil tray. You can use a special smoke box for the sawdust or simply wrap in a few sheets of tin foil and pearce several times.

I burnt my bin with a good fire before use. Kieth Erlandson reccomends you run smoke thriugh the bin for at least 12 hours to leave a tar deposit on the inside of the bin to avoid any metal taint.

I will try to show a couple of pictures when I work out how to do it on the forum!!

Hope this helps? don't think i've broke any copyright yet?? :roll:
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:31 am

To post a picture here, just upload it using http://imageshack.us/ and then follow the instructions on the screen.
aris
Site Admin

pic

Postby Deer Man » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:56 pm

Hope this works! This is a normal dustbin, the garden burners is better suited with air vents and a flue. Pictures to follow!
Last edited by Deer Man on Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Deer Man » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:02 pm

The image appears as a hyperlink. How do I post is so it shows in the message? Sorry its not related, i need to know so i can post more images!! :cry:
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:31 pm

Hi Deer Man

To post your image from imageshack copy the link but before pasting click on the IMG button above.
After pasting click on the IMG button again.

There is also a link in imageshack that you can copy straight into the forum, but basically its the same as above,it saves you having to click the Img button that all.

regards
sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

dustbin smoker

Postby Deer Man » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:32 am

[img][img]http://img9.exs.cx/img9/4348/burner4eh.jpg[/img][/img]

Got there in the end!! Many thanks!! :lol:
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby Gill » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:15 pm

Bump!

I've just had this book delivered and what a great read it is, even for a novice like me. It's not only instructional, but fascinating reading in its own right and would make a super addition to any coffee table.

I should be getting a new kitchen installed shortly (I'm not holding my breath - it was ordered in February) and this book will come into its own then... especially if I can persuade my other half that his handyman skills are good enough to build me a cold smoker.

Gill
Gill
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:20 pm

I too think Erlandson's book is excellent.

I don't think anybody mentioned that it is also *cheap*.

Definitely worth buying.
dougal
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing