steamship round

Postby Nutczak » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:59 pm

When you carved the steamship rounds, did you have them laying with the bone horizontally, or vertically? I have seen stainless-steel bases to hold steamship rounds vertically for carving but I have not found a source for them yet. I started using inside rounds for easier carving and we still get a good presentation especially when we are cooking them.

Attached is a picture of us cooking 160# of inside rounds on our charcoal rotisserie, it was for an outdoor beef cooking competition 43 years in the running. I had another 220# in the enclosed charcoal-fired cooker. If I ind the stands and a way to secure them so my spit-rod is bablanced, I may use steamship rounds again.

Nutczak
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:42 pm

Nutczak wrote:When you carved the steamship rounds, did you have them laying with the bone horizontally, or vertically? I have seen stainless-steel bases to hold steamship rounds vertically for carving but I have not found a source for them yet. I started using inside rounds for easier carving and we still get a good presentation especially when we are cooking them.

Attached is a picture of us cooking 160# of inside rounds on our charcoal rotisserie, it was for an outdoor beef cooking competition 43 years in the running. I had another 220# in the enclosed charcoal-fired cooker. If I ind the stands and a way to secure them so my spit-rod is bablanced, I may use steamship rounds again.

Thanks for your earlier reply on your temperature regime. I appreciate your perspective. However, I don't gamble with my guests' health, and run a very clean kitchen. I'm not a caterer, but having served well over a thousand people without incident is beyond luck, to the degree that anyone serving food to guests/customers is lucky when no one gets sick. Nevertheless, I do understand your perspective and appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

That's a fine spit, and those roasts look beautiful! Was that a local Wisconsin event, or part of a competition circuit?

I have to go by the local used restaurant equipment supply store, today, and will ask about the base you described. See if they know a source for those. You never know - it could be a regional thing. I probably won't find anything you haven't already found, but it's worth a shot. I'll pass along anything promising.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Nutczak » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:19 am

The event is known as "Beef-A-Rama" it is in September in Minocqua Wisconsin USA.

We all cook inside rounds (supplied by the organizer) on the edge of the main street running through the town, at 3:00 P.M. we have the "parade of beef" where every contestant carries their roasts 3 blocks up the street to the city park where talented crews slice all the beef and it is sold to customers in the form of beef sandwiches. it is sort of our "goodbye to the tourists" end of season celebration which Marks us having our town back to ourselves.

The contestants are judged on costumes, presentation, flavor, originality and a few other criteria. No money is involved in prizes, and somehow they have the winning plaques ready with the winners names on them before the event even starts (allegedly).

More information can be found at www.Minocqua.org (terrible site to navigate) just do a google search for "beef a rama" in quotation marks, and you'll find all sorts of info and maybe even a few other pictures of us from our 2007 appearance in the event. We missed it last year due to a scheduled catering event (spend money? or make money!)
Nutczak
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing