New Project

New Project

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:05 am

I have at last decided to do something about the 2 bin liners full of white oak chippings that currently block my workshop, by making a cold smoker.

I have been through a lot of the info on this forum and noted a few of the tests but am still at a loss as to which way to go for the smoke supply. It would be sited next to my BBQ, which is bottled gas, but am reluctant to use a burner ring as the smoke generator was/is going to be sited directly below the the smoking chamber (probably on the floor) and I want to reduce as much heat as possible.

The site was chosen mainly because it is under cover, but with a 3" gap at the rear for a chimney.

I have so far purchased a 2 drawer metal filing cabinet, and I have removed the runners and have chopped it down to fit the intended space (many pop rivets used). It is now 28" high, 18" wide and 18" deep. It will sit with the bottom 35" above the ground.
The cabinet is single skinned, so would I have to insulate the inside? if so, what would be the best method?... wood?
Any suggestion on what materials for the smoke flow piping?

Anyhow, here are a few pics thus far.. The yellow shaded area in the last photo shows where it will reside.

Image Image Image Image Image

I will be most appreciative of any constructive criticisms thus far and for any suggestions to carry the project forward.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi Paul

I too made a smoker from a small filing cabinet albiet for hot smoking:

The problem was that it didn't allow much hanging space:

You would have more, as you plan an external smoke source. You may want to see this postas an alternative to using a gas or electric burner. Or, of course you could use the system that Saucisson and othersuse which utilises an air pump and sealed container.

I can't see the need for insulation as you are cold smoking.

I hope this helps.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:52 pm

I second the vote for no insulation. You can use aluminium flexible ducting for the chimney/pipe work but the tar will corrode it quite quickly (as in you may need to change it every year or so). I would invest in some stainless steel flexible ducting as a fit and forget option.

If you want to use small bore piping to deliver the smoke then normal copper piping and fittings are fine, I use standard 15mm from the DIY stores.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks, I must admit I like the idea of the dust spiral. I had pondered a similar thing a few years ago along the design of those citronella spirals you light and they kill mossies all night long, but the hiccup was how to make the solid spiral using oak dust.. obviously with a bit more thought it doesn't need to be solid as our friend has proved.
I have a piece of aluminium tube about 2 1/2" dia about 24" long, so that will find a use.

With the benefit of 'retrospect' I now realise I could have easily built a chimney choke into my BBQ, added some framework and fitted doors and would have ended up with a pretty good hot smoker.. I will give that some thought for the future, although it will be very awkward to gain access to the chimney now..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:07 pm

Some people swear by these things, might give it a go

http://www.porkypas.com/smokers.htm
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:45 pm

For those who may be interested, I did a bit more on the project.

I fashioned a door from the 2 drawer fronts, inserting some strips of marine ply to give some rigidity. I hung the door and used an old hasp and made an oak peg to keep the door shut. Made a door jamb from white oak.

I utilised the dismantled drawer runners to make some smaller runners to accommodate some removable 'botched' grills. Means I have some chrome steel rods across the top for hooks, which should give around 24" of drop. Alternatively I can use the 2 grills, which were an old BBQ grill I had saved, and as we renewed our cooker last week I kept the grill from the toaster/grill. Both needed the Heath Robinson treatment.

I gave it a blow over with some matt black to subdue it a bit, and put it up in it's new home temporarily, while I ponder the next move.

As can be seen there is plenty of room underneath which can and will be used..

A few more Pics...

Image Image Image Image

I am now wondering about the possibility of a combined 'hot' and 'cold' smoker.. :?

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:51 pm

Looks superb!!

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Paul

I used my filing cabinet as a hot smoker, and also as the 'smoke generator' for a cold smoker.

I have subsequently moved over to using my cold smoking chamber, which is larger, for both hot and cold smoking. I fitted a large gas ring into it (with venting) and added a baffle to spread the heat. The cold smoke was initially going to be produced in an ammo box, but I subsequently cut the bottom half off my filing cabinet, and use the top half as the cold smoke generator.

In due course I will probably change to one of the cold smoke systems above.

The general idea can be seen in the plan here:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... highlight=

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby porker » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:52 am

Looking really good ... I'll have to quit looking at these types of thread, it gets my creative side all wound up :D

Cheers

:)
porker
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:03 am

Paul, it's looking good! Did you use a high-temperature paint for grills and smokers to paint your smoker black? You need to be sure the paint won't blow off toxic fumes, either cold or hot. Just a thought.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:04 pm

FAO Dave.. For some reason this wouldn't let me post this while it contained the link to the BES site.. anyhoo...

I used BES to order the 2.5 kw single burner, a 21mm clip on regulator + hose nozzle, and 3m of 8mm (i/dia) hose.

When that turns up, work will resume. Handy that I have 2 gas bottles in the cupboard under the BBQ, to fuel the burner.

Vagreys, I used some paint which I 'acquired' which is used for engine compartments and sumps, so should be ok. If not, it can flake away and I will leave the heat to blacken it 'au natural' :lol: I reckon the first 'hot smoke' should see off any odours.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:36 pm

It's part number 8861 on the BES site:

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/068.asp

I couldn't access this post about an hour ago either. I also got my burner from BES. This thread is becoming like deja vu for me! :lol:

Phil
Last edited by wheels on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:49 pm

Phil, I used your BES link from the 'Toolshed' part of the main menu... which no longer seems to be there.. was there a couple of hours ago.
There's some wierd stuff happening here today with the posts..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:06 pm

Paul

It's there now

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=4834

It's since Sergeiwas appointed head of IT!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:20 am

Most odd. Paul pm'd me twice yesterday and both messages had no text in although the subject heading was about submitting and previewing posts so I realised he was having problems. It seems we have gremlins on board.

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Next

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing