New Project

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:49 am

Dave, both PM's contained the hyperlink, so I summise it to be related to that somehow.. anyhoo we are getting away from the topic, which is to advise me on making my smoker.

I was going to just sit the burner on the base with the pipe exiting through the base to the gas supply, but obviously it needs some air supply below the jet and also around the burner. the chimney is on, and was fashioned from a piece of aluminium cut in half and inserted side by side with a small rain cover... all pop rivetted on. It needs sealing around the roof joint with liquid metal or similar.

Any suggestions on siting the burner for a safe burn??

A couple more photos:-

Image Image Image

Once again, any suggestions appreciated.

Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Paul

The way I did it was to cut a hole in the bottom and site the burner underneath it. (see the first picture in the 2nd post - previous page.)

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Phil, I did exactly that except I went a bit further and made a fold down cover to close the burner away so that if/when I add a cold smoker it can be used to adjust the flow of smoke.. thinking ahead now 8)
There is enough hose that will enable the burner to be slid out and moved down to fuel another chamber for possible cold smoking.

Done some more pics.
They show the cutout in the base and the dropunder base for the burner. In position, you can see the double chimney pipes behind the plastic (giving my veggie neighbours the benefit of smoking flesh)
The underslung base and burner.
Shows the burner through the base and the drop down hinged cover.
The start of the smoke test on a low setting.
A nice smoulder starting.
An hour later and still smoking well.

Shame I didn't have any produce to try :cry:

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image

Enough testing, best I go turn it off now..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:15 pm

Fantastic work Paul, did you measure any temperatures using it like that?

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:13 pm

Wow all your work looks so professional - it makes my set up look amateurish.

You may want to add a baffle to spread the smoke/heat evenly.

I used this type of set up to hot smoke sucessfully - the only limitation being the hanging height.

For cold smoke I'd go for the Dave/Porkypa smoke generator, or the new one coming out in August that has been discussed before. I currently use a remote gas burner set up for cold smoke but will almost certainly change over to one of these two because of the length of time that they will smoke for unattended.

Get some of Wittdogs Grandpa Jumbo's Polish Sausage in there and we'll all be around!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Dave, No I didn't measure the temp.. I was more concerned with tidying up cos SHE walked in in the middle of it.. and it was all a bit of a trial cos I've just had both big toe nails removed and you'd be surprised how many times you knock them.. I did however turn it down as It felt quite hot in the vicinity.. not really that accurate I know :lol:

Phil,
The metal box used was something I quickly bent up for the test. I will be purchasing a decent stainless steel baking tray to hold the oak. I will fashion a baffle, thanks for the reminder.
Now, the only problem I have with the porkypa/Dave/spiral set up is the fuel. My 2 sacks of oak is mainly from a planer thicknesser and is sort of curly and won't compact like just dust, even with a spray of water.

Now I need to work on HER parting with some money to replace the fridge freezer, which went t1ts up last summer, so I can purchase some some meat. Can you believe the only things I have made in the last 9 months are burgers.. :cry:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:14 pm

Paul

You must be suffering withdrawal symptoms by now!

FWIW here's where I'm at with mine:

I'll take some better photos when it stops raining - in the meantime here's the smoke chamber in the scrapyard that we call a garden:

It's awaiting my nephew to fit the thermometer, make an opening vent, connect the semi-rigid metal tubing (instead of the flexible), and put the stove rope around the door. The gas pipe and regulator for hot smoking also need fitting to the burner, which can be seen protruding from the side, however I can do this myself.

I have only cold smoked in it up to now. But as long as I connect the gas, it will still be usable without all the things that need doing; I hope it will anyway as I've got a load of pheasant and partridge to smoke for a mate whose clearing out his freezer!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:40 pm

I didn't even give stove rope a thought, and it could do with it, smoke is escaping from around the door. I shall try to source some. The reason I put the chimneys the other side of the plastic is because everything is under a covered pergola.. and we don't want it filling with smoke.

Also, maybe a permanent thermometer, I already have a remote probe.

If I had the room I would also go for a similar remote setup with the smoke generator away from the smoker, ideally through some nice cool earth, I will have to do with what I have.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:16 pm

Paul

Oh how I wish that mine was under cover like yours.

The remote thermometers are great but it's handy to be able just to look up at the smoker and see the temp it's at.

The one I got from this ebay seller is great:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/River-Cou ... QQ_armrsZ1

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby lemonD » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:06 am

Paul Kribs wrote:Now, the only problem I have with the porkypa/Dave/spiral set up is the fuel. My 2 sacks of oak is mainly from a planer thicknesser and is sort of curly and won't compact like just dust, even with a spray of water.
Regards, Paul Kribs

I use an old blender to make the dust, works OK on shavings but not chips. I would guess an old coffee grinder would work as well.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:27 am

Tried it out on 4 boned chicken thighs yesterday. Very pleased with the results, took about 30 minutes.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:29 pm

It's great to hear it was a success Paul.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:34 am

Phil

Have taken your advice and ordered a River Country smoker thermometer. Didn't order one straight away, thought I would try to source one from the UK.. the words 'Hens Teeth' spring to mind, the only ones I could find come with a kettle BBQ attached. What is it with this country??? Image

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:05 pm

When I looked I found one - but it was double the price of shipping one from the US. :evil:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing