Smokehouse?

Smokehouse?

Postby quietwatersfarm » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:44 pm

We are looking at installing something to smoke with here.

A friend makes very practical small smokers in sheet metal and we had spoken with him about a large, wall mounted version so that we could smoke large batches of bacon, ham, sausage, poultry and fish.

On reflection we are now wondering if it would be better to build a dedicated smokehouse, but we need to crack on with it due to the lack of current smoking capacity.

Space is no issue around the farmyard here, nor is construction, be it in timber, masonry or metal.

The main thing is achieving something that works well, can smoke hot or cold and that has room to do, as an example 25 kg of garlic sausage, at any one time.

Help and advice on size, construction, venting and the firebox arrabgement would be most appreciated.

I will be happy to document the whole process and its results here.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:55 pm

quietwatersfarm

I am sure that there are many of us that will contribute ideas, but firstly, are there any specific things that must be done (materials etc) to meet EHP approval?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:37 am

I noted that Galton Blackiston, the Norfolk Michelin Star chef, has his own smoker in his garden. It was built from wood and looks to be about 4 ft high, but is raised a few feet off the ground. He was on Market Kitchen yesterday indulging in his home smoked kippers with Matt Tebbut.
Unfortunately they didn't dwell or go into detail about the smoker, but if you google some images of smokers that will give you some ideas.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:11 am

I'll see if I can catch that on the repeats, thanks.

There's a great thread on building a smokehouse here:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=3632

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:29 am

wheels wrote:quietwatersfarm

I am sure that there are many of us that will contribute ideas, but firstly, are there any specific things that must be done (materials etc) to meet EHP approval?

Phil

Like the approval for our cutting and processing areas, its mainly about the ability to keep it clean. Wipedown steel panelling would probably suffice although it could be sealed timber or even tiled theoretically, just as long as you can clean it and its a non absorbant surface where there is a risk of splash or other contamination.

What do you think are the potential issues of overall size impacting on the ammount of fuel/density of smoke?

Thanks for your thoughts so far, I will check the thread posted.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:19 am

Ah, the EHP's generally want everyting clean as you say - the problem with a (tradtional) smoker is that you actually want a build up of deposits (at least according to Maynard Davies - considered an expert - you do).

25kg of sausage is not such a massive amount as you can see from this 100lbs 'off the peg' american hot smoker:

Link to smoker

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

I built a smoker for about $400 USD

Postby Hickory_Bill » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:39 pm

I bought a cheap propane type smoker, tossed out the propane bits, wrapped it in fiberglass, and built a "shack" around it. A stove element is used for heating, and an industrial type controller ($100) and added an industrial controller holds the temp +/- 5 deg F. I put a baffle in bottom to catch drippings and give me the option of using a water pan.

Original unit ($160 current price)
Cooking capacity is 20" W x 14" D x 34" H and 4 shelves.

Finished unit

I have since adapted it for cold smoking.

Here is my test run using a cardboard box and ice.

I currently in the market for a small used refrigerator.

Hickory_Bill
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:51 pm

wheels wrote:Ah, the EHP's generally want everyting clean as you say - the problem with a (tradtional) smoker is that you actually want a build up of deposits (at least according to Maynard Davies - considered an expert - you do).

I have been looking into this, as this is where its difficult.

I had always imagined a smokehouse having a decent carbon build up.

It seems that as long as its roomy enough, so that contamination isnt a risk and that a drip tray etc allows cleaning of residues effectively, then there is no problem with a masonry finish internally.

I guess then its about striking a balance between size and smoke density/temperature. I had thought that I would always include a standalone firbox so that it could be placed outside with a duct to allow a cold smoke option, but adequately controllable venting is critical in a large unit I guess.

I want to avoid as many powered controls as possible and go with a manual damping/venting set up if possible. Just good relaible temperature readings would ideally be the limit on gadgets.

Great smokers in the pictures, thanks for that, Ill start on a design this weekend, post it up and see what you guys think.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

What's an EHP?

Postby Hickory_Bill » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:04 pm

What's an EHP?
Hickory_Bill
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:26 pm

Environmental Health Practitioner - the people who register and monitor food production in the UK.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:26 pm

Environmental Health Practitioner, they need to check you out before you can sell any products commercially in the UK.

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:27 pm

What Phil said :lol:

saucisson
Site Admin

Ah...

Postby Hickory_Bill » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:31 pm

I thought you were doing something for private use.

Some "health inspectors" (the US term) don't like the idea of smokers at all from what I hear.
Hickory_Bill
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:39 pm

We have to have approval of our dedicated facilities here as we sell our products.

This means we have to conform to all Environmental Health regulations, HACCP stuff and can be visited at any time for inspection.

I dont think there will be a problem with the smokehouse as long as everything is done well and whatever guidance exists has been followed :D
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Same here

Postby Hickory_Bill » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:54 pm

Your shop must pass a county "health inspection" before you can open for business, and they show up for random inspections once or twice a year. IF they find something out of place you have a few days to correct it if it's a minor violation.
Hickory_Bill
Registered Member

Next

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing