Smokehouse?

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:57 pm

Pretty similar here, we built our facilities from scratch which made it easier than converting somewhere and we involved them as we went along so they were happy with our attitude to things. :D
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:00 pm

Yes it's a similar process both sides of the pond, as I understand it, just that the terminology is a bit different.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby PepperPig » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi Hickory Bill,

I have a thread going just now "Curing on the Bone" to discuss whether there is any benefit from such action and I notice from your pictures that you are smoking a loin "on the bone". May I enquire why?
"A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing".
Especially in my case!!
PepperPig
Registered Member

Postby Hickory_Bill » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:45 am

Hickory_Bill
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:05 am

Phil, Ive seen your schematic and particularly like the pebble diffuser.

I'm part way through the plans for my smokehouse and, given that it will be quite big, even smoke distribution is a major factor in ensuring reliable results.

Do you have problem/do you need to? keep them clean for the system to work well?

Also is your hot smoking temperature purely controlled by adjustment to venting?
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:42 pm

I can't give a definitive answer about the pebbles as I've only used it twice! What I have found is that I still need a drip tray (I forgot to put it in last time!). I don't see that the pebbles will need cleaning, any more than the inside of the smoker will. I think that commercially you would be better with a stainless plate with holes - I can imagine the look on the EHP's face if he saw a tray of pebbles. :lol:

The hot smoking temp is controlled by adjusting the gas flame - If I was starting again I would use electric with a thermostat, although commercially I'm sure that thermostatic control of the flame is possible (my budget doesn't stretch to that sort of thing though).

Obviously I have time to look after the smoker whilst it is in operation, for a commercial producer it's possible that a small 'off the peg' commercial kiln would be more cost effective - no EHP problem, needs less attention, works out of the box etc. Small ones are available such as this:

http://www.intlsmokingsystems.com/bmini_02.html

Cost may be a factor but it's worth a phone call?

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:01 pm

If you could cannibalise an old caravan oven then the oven burner (which will be LPG) are usually themostatically controlled. I don't know if they would be sensitive enough for your needs though.

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:27 pm

If you are controlling temp with the gas flame does this not also affect burn rate of your dust?

ie; What about where you want a long but hot smoke?

What I liked about the bbq smoker that was tested recently was that it was lit with minimal input (a tea-light) and burnt for a long time.

Take your point about the pebbles but I quite like the idea :D

The linked kiln looks fantastic (and pricey I guess) but I quite like the homestead smokehouse idea, it fits with the rest of the place here!
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:37 pm

quietwatersfarm wrote:If you are controlling temp with the gas flame does this not also affect burn rate of your dust?

Yes, it would.

ie; What about where you want a long but hot smoke?

You would normally do the smoke at the lower temps, then increase the heat gradually to cook the meat etc without smoke.

What I liked about the bbq smoker that was tested recently was that it was lit with minimal input (a tea-light) and burnt for a long time.

Yes, that's particularly good for cold smoking. I have something similar on order at present.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... highlight=

Take your point about the pebbles but I quite like the idea :D

The linked kiln looks fantastic (and pricey I guess) but I quite like the homestead smokehouse idea, it fits with the rest of the place here!

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:44 pm

Thanks Phil,

I was looking for a low energy solution wherever possible so I was wondering about high mass insulation and restricting ventilation/exhaust to control smoke density and heat build up with thermostatic vents to keep it where I want it.

Perhaps Im way off?
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:10 pm

You need a minimum flow through otherwise the smoke can become acrid if it hangs around too long...

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:33 pm

Have a read through this thread - it may give you some ideas:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... smokehouse

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Batman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:02 am

For cold smoking, I don't think you need anything fancy in terms of construction materials, subject to EH requirements, its essentially just a container to hold the smoke temporarily. For hot smoking, higher thermal mass and good insulation would probably help maintain more stable temperatures. Whatever you finish up with think about the ergonomics of loading and unloading ie at a comfortable height.
TonyB

Visit my blog at www.batty.me.uk
Batman
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks for this everyone.

As it stands the design is a small roof arrangement, on four posts with four, heavily insulated, doors. The idea is then it can be loaded from each side, meaning it can have a reasonably big area without needing to 'go in'.

Floor/sub floor are a variation of Phils scheme with burner/dust and air inlet below a diffuser and drip trays.

Adjustable racks throughout and then flue above.

Planning low and high vents on thermostatic control.

Cold smoking via remote firebox and am now just looking at wether internal burner + high mass insulation will achieve hot smoking temperatures (if not secondary heat source will be added)
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:56 am

I like the 4 door idea :) brilliant.

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing