couple of newbie questions . . .

couple of newbie questions . . .

Postby HueyM » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here but have been lurking a while .. . . some great info guys!

I make my own sausages using a mincer on my old kenwood chef and now want to have a go at smoking some of 'em . . ..

So this morning I knocked up a smoke generator following advice I read on here - its a simple stainless steel flask with air being supplied by an aquarium pump. I've got some flexible aluminium tubing arriving soon and the plan is to connect the CSG up to an old oven. . .

So, first question: what size chimney should I make in the oven? or do I need one at all? I was planning on the smoke entering the oven at the bottom, though perhaps it would be better on the side to avoid fat etc dripping into supply pipe?

I tried the CSG using oak I shaved off using a power planer set on between one and three mm . . . .and saprked it off using a bit of charcoal lit with a blowtorch. . . but my oak burnt up in about 15 minutes, even with the air supply on lowest setting. . . .

So, second question! what size shaving and what quantity of wood should I stuff into my CSG?

thanks for any advice!

cheers

Huey
HueyM
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:04 pm

can you take some photos of the flask, shavings etc so we can get an idea of the scale you are working at?

As for a chimney , the flow rate from the pump is so low that cracking the oven door open a fraction will suffice.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby HueyM » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:21 pm

thanks for quick reply Dave!

here's a couple of pics - as you can see its a small flask, and small shaving too!

Huey
HueyM
Registered Member

Postby HueyM » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:21 pm

oops, think I'd better read up on how to add a photo . . . .
HueyM
Registered Member

Postby HueyM » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:31 pm

HueyM
Registered Member

Postby HueyM » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:44 pm

HELP!!!

can't see why this isn't working - have found posts refering to a tutorial on how to add photos, but can't find the tutorial!

thanks for any help!

Huey
HueyM
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:12 pm

HueyM

Hi, even when I create a different webpage in html, or use html to try and show your images here, they don't show - it appears to be a problem with the 'permissions' at the image host rather than the forum.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:20 pm

You've done it correctlly, so the problem is with the various hosts and servers, I've changed them to links so people can just click on them.

The tutorial is at the beginning of the beginners section here, but I think you did everything OK...

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=1610

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Ok that shows exactly what I needed, thanks. The shavings are too bulky, so you can't get enough in the flask. You either need a finer powder so it packs down, or coarser chippings to get more weight of wood into the flask. Either way will reduce the air spaces radically so you may need to up the air flow to compensate. Keep trying and we'll get you there :)

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby HueyM » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:38 pm

great! thanks Dave . . I'll have another test run tomorrow. I read in another post that you can use a blender to chop up the shavings so I'll try that . . .

I do wonder however if I shouldn't have bought a bigger flask, this one was only a couple of quid at Asda and they did have a larger one for acouple more quid . . .

thanks again

Huey
HueyM
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:17 pm

I use a stainless steel spaghetti jar a bit narrower than a 2 litre cola bottle, but I would persist with your flask for now...

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:06 am

Images are visible now.
I right clicked on the destination images and copied and pasted the url of the image properties. Then it came up with the jpg extension.
Photobox does things a little differently it would seem.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing