Smoker pointers

Postby kevster » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Nutczak wrote:
I hope you are able to get the cedar smell out of your smoker, it may still taint other foods from the resins on the inner walls.

I had a friend who thought we would season his pit with pine, we needed to sandblast the interior and use harsh chemicals to get that funky smell ot of it, and then reseason with oil and burn green hardwoods to re-caot the steel again.

I may just put the whole smoke can into the bbq and burn any residue out of it, or filling it with red-hot charcol may do the same thing. Otherwise, the tin cost me £1 from PoundLand and was filled with chocolate waffers that the kids loved....so the worst doesn't seem so bad.

I hope to get some seasoned logs from a place outside town this weekend...so the next attempt may be soon. I've been experimenting making sawdust by drilling into the ends of some logs I have in the garden using a large flat-bit (also not suitable for food...they are eucalyptus) and it makes a lovely fine powdery dust.

Kev
kevster
Registered Member

Postby Nutczak » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:40 pm

kevster wrote:
I hope to get some seasoned logs from a place outside town this weekend...so the next attempt may be soon. I've been experimenting making sawdust by drilling into the ends of some logs I have in the garden using a large flat-bit (also not suitable for food...they are eucalyptus) and it makes a lovely fine powdery dust.

Kev

I saw something that may work better than a flat drill-bit for making chips. I saw it in a wood-carving catalog, it was a spindle that attaches to a drill, ut he head of the tool has an actual chain from a chainsaw wrapped around it. It was for fast removal of material.

A wood-plane may also give you a great chip and quicker too.
Nutczak
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:00 pm

Nice ideas, thanks :) I've used a flat blade dril bit and while it gives great material you end up with at least 60% of the wood still in riddled log form.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby kevster » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:45 am

saucisson wrote:Nice ideas, thanks :) I've used a flat blade dril bit and while it gives great material you end up with at least 60% of the wood still in riddled log form.

Dave

Maybe I could chop the remainder down to kinddling-size sticks and put them through the garden shredder and mix them back in with the sawdust?

Last night I tried a burn with the dust I'd made and I got about 8 hours out of a mug-full of dust without much wastage left over at the end. Now all I need is my oak/beech logs.

I'm off to search for posts on smoking techniques....do you smoke bacon before or after you've cured it...hmmmm :roll:

Kev
kevster
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:43 am

After curing... :D

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby kevster » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:37 pm

saucisson wrote:After curing... :D

:)
After a good look around, I'm not sure hwo best to treat salmon.

I've been using a gravlax recipe in the past, which is great and very herby (dill) and a nice late night snack. But it takes a few days and from what I gather of smoker recipes, it doesn't really need as long (most of the instructions seem to be about 24 to 36 hours). I've had a look at the 'Fish Curing' forum and there are instructions there, but they are not fully descrptive (either amounts or curing times seem vagure). Does anyone have a good recipe for curing salmon prior to smoking? Ideally it would be one where some of the drying is done before smoking as I'd rather everything in the fridge wasn't smoked.
Cheers
Kev
kevster
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:47 pm

Most of the commercial smokers that have featured on the TV recently have just covered it with a heavy dusting of salt and cure it overnight, maybe 8 - 12 hours or so.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:08 pm

You can do 25g salt and 10g sugar per kilo, dry cure overnight, rinse, pat dry and then into the smoker, preferably overnight on a trickle. Then wrap in several layers of greaseproof paper and back into the fridge.

These days I sprinkle a small handful rather than measuring :)

Dave
Last edited by saucisson on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby kevster » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:57 am

saucisson wrote:You can do 25g salt and 10g sugar, dry cure overnight, rinse, pat dry and then into the smoker, preferably overnight on a trickle. Then wrap in several layers of greaseproof paper and back into the fridge.

These days I sprinkle a small handful rather than measuring :)

Dave

Hi Dave
Would those amounts be for a single side of Salmon? Do you put it all on the flesh side?
Thanks
Kev
kevster
Registered Member

Postby kevster » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:41 am

I've just found a load of posts on smoking salmon....with lots of input from you Dave, and Oddley and others.

It looks like the whole water content thing is going to be a challenge. It did make me wonder about something I was considering, which was: Is it worth me fitting a small circulation fan inside the smoker? I was originally thinking of it to help stop the smoke just sitting at the bottom of the smoker....but now I'm wondering if it will help the meat dry a little as well?

The whole smoking salmon thing also raises another question: Instructions seem to suggest smoking at 25oC, but outside ambient temperature is now well below this and I'm more likely to smoking at around 8oC to 10oC. Is this a problem?

Cheers
Kev
kevster
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:10 pm

I've edited the post so it now says per kg, I'd missed that out... and yes flesh side only.

8 to 10 deg should be fine, I wouldn't worry about a fan.

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing