bacon smoking

bacon smoking

Postby tinca » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:07 pm

How long would you smoke a piece of bacon for, im using apple and oak ????? Cheers Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:38 pm

How long's a piece of string?

I know people who would smoke it for 3 days or so, personally I 'trickle' smoke mine for 24 hours.

I keep a very low density of smoke in the chamber - obviously, if you have more smoke the amount of time will be less - but you run the risk of a bitter product if you allow the smoke to linger for too long around the meat.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby beardedwonder5 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:16 pm

Something else to take into consideration. The most highly esteemed salmon smokers stay away from bark. Why? It's claimed the the bark imparts a bitter tinge to the taste.
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:45 pm

I can back that up from personal experience. Bark is dreadful.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Ianinfrance » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:54 pm

So your bark is worse than your byte then? :roll:

(All right... I'm leaving)
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:31 pm

:D :D :lol:

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby tinca » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:17 pm

Cheers guys, well thats the apple out then :( i aint no ray mears so im not going to spend hours stripping bark off it, it took me ages to get the oak chips going today and still ended up with a slight bitter smell to the meat , im going to smoke again tomorrow for another 8 hours , hopefully some oak and cherry dust will have arrived, and ive worked out how the proq smoker works and made a bodge job of one, i nicked my bird table which just happens to be the same size and shape and cut up some copper pipe then flattened it to make the bend in the partitions, clearly not as good a the proq but i aint got no money to spare and i like bodging :lol: :lol: so if the dust arrives i will give it a try and hint to the wife i want a nice proq for christmas if i can find a dust supplier that dont charge the earth, otherwise it aint very cost effective :cry:
Does the outside temp make a difference to how the smoke rises, as i had trouble getting it to flow nicely up through the chamber today until around 3 in the afternoon when all of a sudden it behaved itself :roll: Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby beardedwonder5 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:36 pm

Those of us who have (sealed) woodburners can testify to the effects caused by atmospheric pressure.
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing