Cold smoke generator design - cheap, simple and effective

Postby probbq » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi Kev, it's caused no hassle at all, as you say some people love tinkering (I'm one of them) the only problem occurs when people take a design and start to manufacture it for re-sale... there is already a copy out in the USA, which we're currently dealing with.
Ian

Stacked & smokin!
www.macsbbq.co.uk
probbq
Registered Member

Postby kevster » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:36 pm

Jaunty wrote:Good to hear from Ian.

I didn't really have a problem with an enthusiast "having a go", I just wanted to see an acknowledegement that the design used was basically a copy of the ProQ.

Fair enough....but I prefer 'inspired by the ProQ CSG'....rather than copied...since I hadn't copied it (again...sounds suspect now that Ian has embarrassed me with his very similar looking originator :wink: )

Kev :)
kevster
Registered Member

Postby kevster » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:40 pm

probbq wrote:Hi Kev, it's caused no hassle at all, as you say some people love tinkering (I'm one of them) the only problem occurs when people take a design and start to manufacture it for re-sale... there is already a copy out in the USA, which we're currently dealing with.

Give them a good kicking.....it is the only the perseverance of inventors in protection of their intellectual property and commercial space that prevents the whole system going to pot....patent lawyers only do it if you pay them to (unfortunately).
Kev
kevster
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:47 pm

kevster wrote:..............

plus lots of stabbings from the frayed wire ends

:lol: Reminds me of when I decided to make some wire frame cages to hold gravel to use as a divider between 2 parts of the garden, the air was blue when I finished. Not as blue as the day that one of them split and dumped the thick end of 200kg of gravel all over the patio!!
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:47 pm

kevster wrote:
Jaunty wrote:Good to hear from Ian.

I didn't really have a problem with an enthusiast "having a go", I just wanted to see an acknowledegement that the design used was basically a copy of the ProQ.

Fair enough....but I prefer 'inspired by the ProQ CSG'....rather than copied...since I hadn't copied it (again...sounds suspect now that Ian has embarrassed me with his very similar looking originator :wink: )

Kev :)

That's certainly the first time I have seen a picture of Ian's prototype so I think you can sleep safe in the knowledge that we don't think you nicked his idea.

"Inspired by" works for me...

Just to remind people quite a few of us copied PorkyPa's smoke generator in various guises and rather than get upset about it he became an active member of the forum. All the discussion about it almost certainly helped raise the profile of his commercial product on the internet.

In fact if you google porky pa smoke generator two of the first three hits are to this forum :)

Dave
Last edited by saucisson on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby kevster » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:47 pm

Richierich wrote:
kevster wrote:..............

plus lots of stabbings from the frayed wire ends

:lol: Reminds me of when I decided to make some wire frame cages to hold gravel to use as a divider between 2 parts of the garden, the air was blue when I finished. Not as blue as the day that one of them split and dumped the thick end of 200kg of gravel all over the patio!!

:lol: Those are the kind of moments when SWMBO always seems to be standing behind me and I get the distinct feeling that she thinks I did it deliberately. Despite anything my old English teacher would say about the inarticulate and swearing ...the only word that fits the moment is "b*ll*cks".
kevster
Registered Member

Postby scotty » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:21 pm

Boy why didnt i see that before i started this

im installing a 750 watt hotplate with the t.stat jumped out in series with a router speed controll.

Well it will impress my nieghbors.

Your design is so exceptionally innovative. i will construct one for a test and see if it has a specific place. Thanks for the idea.
:D
The best comedy is to see the politicians in the USA blaming one another for all the stealing they have been doing for so many years.
Maybe this is Obamas strategy to get the truth out in the open.
scotty
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:39 pm

Yours looks a bit more portable scotty :D

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Hoggy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Richierich wrote:
I would be keen to get the thoughts of the designer of the original, would also be interesting to know exactly what the patent is pending for on the Original CSG. Are there implications for an individual infringing a patent.

Actually....there are NO implications, as long as you make and use one ONLY for yourself, but you cannot make and sell to others. That is...IF there is a patent......BTW....mentioning " patent pending " while it is not, is a felony.....
Last edited by Hoggy on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
" The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. " ( Frank Hebert )
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:22 am

geez what a sh!tstorm.

makes me think twice about posting my tinkerings :?
Last edited by mitchamus on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:31 pm

You'll be fine :D

saucisson
Site Admin

Re: Cold smoke generator design - cheap, simple and effectiv

Postby baconboffin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Very nteresting. The amaze-n-smoker (costs £35) is similar and has a patent pending but providing you make one for personal use and not to sell I can't see that is an issue. I have made myself a simpler version with just one straight track 12 inches long and I get 3 to 4 hours smoking on one fill of 70 grams of sawdust. I use a fairly fine oak sawdust (not shavings) and it smokes steadily without attention. I once made a smoker using an air pump and a venturi design. It was difficult to control the air flow and it would either flare up or go out. The sort you describe works much better. Could you tell me more about the sawdust you use, does it include shavings Regards
baconboffin
Newly Registered

Postby Banjoe » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:03 pm

Looks like we need to add fine print legal disclaimers on future posting when sharing our "inventions".

It's too bad that good intentions ended up generating such bizarre feelings and did not add to the overall value of this forum. I, for one appreciated the effort in the work done on this project and the generous thought put into sharing this accomplishment with all of us.

Reading this posting signifies the acceptance of all responsibilities for personal feelings generated, acceptance of the responsibility to respond in positive manner in all future postings, and disavows the right to respond in a negative way whenever generous folk try to contribute to the overall good of the group.
Banjoe
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:39 am

As it happened two years ago, didn't become too acrimonious and reached an amicable conclusion, it's probably best left in the past :)

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby mrbeelzy » Thu May 23, 2013 2:42 pm

hi guys I am a smoking noob.

I thoroughly enjoyed this thread. The exchange with the property law atty and everyone else including the inventor made my day...you can't make this stuff up. You guys are hilarious, thank you everyone. I am a totally broke Philosophy researcher, so forgive me for taking the less expensive way out.

I just bought some screen to make the cold smoke unit and wrangled a 55 gallon barrel I figured would use as a smoker. I would love some help with some questions.

1.) is there any utility to varying any dimension of the pro q for the 55 gallon barrel? I am assuming it makes plenty of smoke and the small size (2 centimeter) tracks keep it from heating the space up too much. I did buy a 60 by 60 sheet so, I guess I could make one that would burn for 40 hours plus...ha.

2.) I cut the top out of the barrel and I plan to just set my little fake Pro Q down in the bottom then put in racks or hang the turkey or whatever and then put the metal piece I sawed out of the lid loosely back on to make an enclosed space. My question is: do I need air holes in the bottom to keep the fire from going out? How much ventilation do these things need to keep burning?

Thanks for everything guys.

Cheers!
mrbeelzy
Newly Registered

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing