New Smoker/BBQ

Postby othmar » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:14 pm

Here a hint to all that want to try Wine, Whiskey or Madeira flavour.
You can buy a bottle of these and then add a glas full to your oak or other hard wood shavings. Let it soak in good before igniting it. You will be surprised at the smell and taste this creates.

Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:19 am

I wonder if that would work with the bradley briquette's :?:
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:50 pm

Shaun wrote:I wonder if that would work with the bradley briquette's :?:

Hi Shaun.

To be honest with you, Iam not 100% sure about "Bradley Briquettes" since I do not know the product and myself I allways use loose sawdust or shavings to smoke with.
However, if the product mentioned is made of wood I see no reason why it would not work. Just let the Wine or what ever you want to use soak really well in.

Hope this answer helps you.

Regards
Othmar
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:58 am

Shaun

I have seen the Bradley being used on a TV program "Flaming BBQ's" and notice the briquettes are fed along a metal slide.

Looking at it from a woodworking perspective I would ask:-
How much 'play' is there between the briquettes and the sides of the feed chute? The reason I ask is that I believe they are made by smaller chippings being compressed into shape. I do not know if there is any glue applied at that stage, but will say that 'any' moisture applied to them would cause them to expand considerably and maybe even to start to break up. I would suggest that if there is enough play between the briquette and the chute sides that you keep the application of moisture to a minimum by applying it as a gentle mist using one of those hand held trigger sprays like they sell 'bug spray' in at home centres, and not to soak them.
After which, they may need leaving to dry out before use as they may stick on the slide.

Just being cautious you understand.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:14 am

Yeh Paul I think your right they would probably just break down, as they are of a simular texture to weetabix.
Ho well just looking for anothe excuse to buy a litre of whiskey so I could use a glass for my cooking experiment. God know's what I would have done with the rest :D
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:28 am

Shaun

I know what you mean about the whiskey, I had similar experiences with a rabbit with mustard and cider recipe.. always seemed to buy too much cider..

Nothing to stop you 'misting' the meat with it though prior to smoking :wink:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:01 pm

Are you gonna tell the wife or shall I. :lol:
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:00 pm

Sorry, I did not think about it properly. Of cource if this briquetts are of compressed shavings they will expand.
Here is another solution. Fill some of the alkohol in to a samll dish and put it in to the smoker it will evaporate with the heat and get that why in to the sausage.
Another sugestion, something I do quit often is to put herbs over the shavings, these too will ad to the flavour.

Regards
Othmar
othmar
Registered Member

Postby robin » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:09 pm

Guys,

At last I got some time to have a go at this.

I used Wilf's BBQ beef recipe but did it with a joint of pork shoulder also I tried a chicken and some smoked boerewors. I used Hickory chunks. Thanks to Wilf for the tips.

The results were pretty good for the pork and the chicken. The sausages were OK. Maybe a different type of sausage might be better suited to smoking.

The digital thermometer went well.
robin
Registered Member

Postby phillmypintpot » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:34 pm

othmar wrote:Another sugestion, something I do quit often is to put herbs over the shavings, these too will ad to the flavour.

Good point.

I've done a fair bit of hot-smoking lately, with a kettle bbq.

After sorting the kids out, with burgers, sausages etc., when the coals have died down a lot, I put some cherry/ apple/ pear prunings on the coals, put the meat/ fish on the grill & put the lid on with the bottom damper open and the lid damper open slightly. After about ten minutes of this dense smoke, I remove the lid blow on the coals, burn off any remaining wood and then add some bay prunings to the coals and replace the lid for a further five minutes. The bay really comes through. I check the meat and finish off in the oven if required.

A word of caution though. Over-smoking your meat can ruin it. I find subtlety is better.

Cheers, Phill.
string is a very important thing,
rope is thicker but string is quicker.
phillmypintpot
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:21 pm

Hi,
A friend of mine made briquettes he used startch as a binder that is why they fall apart when they get wet. Perhaps you could soak some bits of building brick in your favourite wine etc. and add it to your briquetts in your smoker .
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:22 pm

I'm going to commision a smoker made from an old whiskey barrel tomorrow, and I'd like to post some photo's: if someone could PM me some instuctions as to how to post piccys on this site I'll do a full a full how-too. (Kind of embarased, but I am a techno-tw#t :oops: .)
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:59 pm

Use www.imageshack.us for hosting your photos - they give pretty self explanatory instructions there.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Wohoki » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:55 pm

Cheers.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby beardedwonder5 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:36 pm

I have a vague memory of an assertion that stomach cancer rates are higher in those regions of Austria which smoke using coniferous wood,
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing