Smoked Chicken

Postby Epicurohn » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:54 pm

I tried it an it was excellent. Except for the fact that I'm having problems with the dgree of desired smokiness I get out of my modified Weber Kettle Grill/Smoker. Very juicy and tender. Very good dinner. Next day made some awesome sandwiches from the leftovers with sourdough bread, Ementaler, assorted greens, mayonaise and Mendocino mustard.

My wife says the leftover dark meat should make for a very serious salad.

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:03 pm

Tried Wilf's recipe with pork ribs and they came very good. A little salty so I'll use them for my next stew, split pea soup or Spanish Cocido.

I'm not sure if I should put in less salt or put the meat through a more extended fresh water rinse (I only rinsed the ribs under running water for less than a minute), or several changes of fresh water.

Comments???

Thanks,

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:52 pm

Perhaps less time in the brine as pork ribs are fairly thin, the silverside joint I done wasn't salty at all, a lot of the salting/brining recipes are not too everyones taste as I frquently read, smoked salmon could be brined/salted anything from half an hour to a few hours depending on salt taste required
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:42 pm

I tried your smoked chocken recipe again with ribs. They came out excellent. I'm using a tropical hardwood for smoking instead of hickory, but the real difference was with sausagemaker's recommendations.

Hey Wilf did you try smoking the Habaneros? I placed a couple on my smoker when doing the ribs and they are fantastic. I ground them on the blendder and the powder was great with scrambled eggs. It did help cutting down on the bite. Will try it on some seafood and sausage stew.

Thanks,

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing