Reminder - Cod's Roe

Postby onewheeler » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Here's a picture of the roe after two runs of the CSG loaded with 50/50 beech and oak:

I took a piece, skinned it and mixed in in a 3:2 ratio with creme fraiche. Delicious! Needs nothing more than perhaps a little lemon juice to sprinkle on it. It came out delightfully pink with no food colouring.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:38 pm

Martin. What a brilliant job- they look the business.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby onewheeler » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Actually, on further tasting, they don't need lemon juice. The creme fraiche has enough acidity in its own right.

The idea of just roe and creme fraiche came from here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/real_food/article7013833.ece. Sometimes (usually?) simple is good :D
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:00 pm

It's a great idea.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Sam Newman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:41 pm

That's it! Im going fishing. You have made me hungry 4 smoked roe! :lol:
You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Postby onewheeler » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:15 pm

The fish counter in our local supermarket had (Canadian) herring roe a couple of weeks ago, so I had to buy some. It looked pretty gross, very thin and slimy. Brined it for an hour then smoked it for an hour. It still didn't look very appetising.

Google told me that herring roe as sold over the counter is usually herring milt, so I'd got fish balls and sperm. I fried it in butter for a few minutes and it was really rather good. It had a very delicate, fishy flavour, not at all testicular (whatever that tastes like. There are some things a chap doesn't like to think about.)

The wife and boy-child enjoyed it too, although I didn't tell them what they were eating until afterwards. My son gave the predictable comment that he wished he'd spat it out instead of swallowing. He must have been properly raised :wink:

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:54 am

Oops, it's nice but not he same is it. I too find it hard to 'get my head around'! (Joker's paradise there lads!).

Have you made other things with the cod's roe you did?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Sam Newman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:45 am

Possum balls taste better than you'd think. haha. :lol:
No roe for me today. I got some mates together with a few beers and other essentual supplys and it is raining and windy. The quad bike is on the trailer ready to go. I'm sitting here rubbing my empty belly, hoping it will clear up. I wouldn't mind the rain, exept we want to go diving for Paua, Kina, Crays, Mussels and Seaweed. With the weather like this, we won't be able to see anything down there. Also, I plan on staying around the rocks for a couple of days and we will need a good fire to warm up each time we get out of the water. The Herring roe I have had tastes ok, but it is very small. I'm going for the Kahawai and Mullet roes. YUM!
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Postby Sam Newman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:43 am

It's our second night camping on the beach around the rocks at Ahipara bay. Today I patched up an old blow up boat and set the net. Got 55 Parore fish. let 50 of them go, minus the 1s that my dog, Pig re-caught and ate. I got a cod on the rod and mixed the row with some yellowfoot Paua and cream. yum. Gathered some agar seaweed for sale and ate a few kinas and sea snails of a big variety too. We will stay 1 more night and have our last fish / dive tomorrow and load up on some more to take home. Glad I got to have some cod roe.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:20 pm

It sounds like you had a great days fishing Sam. Tight lines!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing