New " EXTREME weather " cold smoker design

Postby saucisson » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Nice photos Hoggy :D
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Richierich » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:29 am

Hoggy, I doff my proverbial cap to you sir, that is a great design. I wonder for warm days whether you could use an electronic cooler or whether the cooling effect would not be sufficient for the internal heat and the latent heat from sun, atmoshpere.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:30 pm

Thank you Richierich, you can keep your hat on for now, you might catch a cold....

I will give an update on my experiences until now:

General:

A. I bought an extremely well insulated cooler ( $$$$$ ), but I am convinced you will get the same results with a normal, cheaper one ( less $$$$$ )
B. This is a SMALL smoker, very well suited for my needs, but don't expect to smoke for a party of 40 persons...
C. This is a " horizontal " smoker, this means I do not have much height. This means that there is very quickly a good concentration of smoke, despite the small ProQ CSM. This is not a bad thing, but I have 2 racks in the smoker, and the top rack gets more smoke than the bottom rack, despite the small height. Example: I smoked a piece of salmon for 18 hours on the top rack with a temperature of 16.5 C and 18.5 C, the salmon was over-smoked ( but good taste ) So I will have to adjust with putting it on the lower rack, and less smoke time. These are not bad things, I just need to learn the behaviour of the smoker better.

On the drawing below:

1. I could have made the big valve ( now 100 mm ) a bit smaller. This valve is meant to higher up the temperature inside, I only need it with outside temperature of -5 C or lower. With higher outside temperatures I keep it closed.
2. Filling the ProQ only half the height, gives me lower heat-development. I am going to need that in spring, when the outside temperatures will be higher. The ProQ itself works EXCELLENT, even with my " self-made dust ", but this week I will make something similar, smaller in volume but longer in length. I will post that later.
3. I am going to make an adjustable outlet as well ( 50 mm ). With that one I can lower the temperature inside, I will need this with temperatures outside between -5 C and +5 C , after that I expect the ProQ needs to exit the smoker.

All with all, this set-up works very well, but it needs some fine-tuning along the road.
I really don't regret starting this project.

Hoggy
" The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. " ( Frank Hebert )
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:11 pm

Well done Hoggy now you can start making Rookwors.Kan amper nie meer wag om te sien wat jy gaan maak nie. :lol:
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:45 pm

Ha Zulululu,

Je zult nog even geduld moeten hebben hoor, maar ook daar zijn interessante ontwikkelingen....via een " vriend van een vriend van een vriend " kan ik waarschijnlijk de originele kruiden kopen, maar het is meer van " niets vragen en niets doorvertellen "

For the ( few ) ones who were not able to read the above :

Hi Zulululu,
You will need to be patient, but on that side there are some very interesting developments..... via a " friend of a friend of a friend " I will probably be able to buy the original seasoning, but it will be " don't ask dont tell "

Sind auch nog Deutsche Leute da ?
Encore en Francais aussi ? ( oblier ca,......)

Hoggy
" The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. " ( Frank Hebert )
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:45 pm

Thank you for the translation... :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Hoggy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:48 pm

歡迎您
:o :o :o :o :o
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Hoggy wrote:Thank you Richierich, you can keep your hat on for now, you might catch a cold........

Glad to take the hat off, I am in Sao Paulo at the moment, it's far too hot for hats!! Arrived on Sunday to an increase in temperature of almost 40C. Below freexing when I left, high 30'sC when I arrived.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:55 pm

In order to try to lower the heat development of the CSM in my tiny smoker ( EXCELLENT salmon and cheese BTW, and I am doing bacon right now...) I have done some testing with a CSM with much lower volume then the ProQ ( very nice gadget.....)

I am doing this, not because of the ProQ itself, it is very good, and I don't regret buying it, but when temperatures outside will rise, I need less heat development in my smoker, until outside temperatures get THAT high, that the ProQ will go outside the smoker.

This is only a test gadget, made from 2 platter screens, I have my doubts about the quality, and didn't use it to smoke something. If it is fine-tuned, I might consider making a real one.

* Circumference is 160 cm - diameter 22 cm
* Channels are 2 cm high and 2 cm wide
* takes 52 gram of sawdust ( as filled on the pictured above approx 17 mm high )
* Burning time 14 hours ......!
* Heat development in smoker, compared to ProQ is 4 C - 5 C less
* Sawdust: homemade ( from flavoured pellets), a bit coarser than the ProQ dust, and it gives a 7 hours burn in a full ProQ
* SMOKE : less than the ProQ, but just the " tickle " that I need for this small smoker

The smoker live in action at this moment, outside - 14C and inside + 15 and 2 pieces of bacon....

I have made an adjustable vent on top, but you can't see it well, because of the snow, in the bag is my wireless thermometer, thank God I have that one...

Hoggy
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:27 pm

Hi Hoggie,
It is very nice to know that this Forum is blessed by many multi-lingual
speakers/writers with heaps of knowledge and the will to experiment.
Hoggy, when you get more info on the Rookworst kruiden, please let me know.
I have a list of the seasonings used but not the exact quantites yet, say per 5 kg of meat. I like to make them rather authentic. being a pure bred clog-wog Dutchman by birth. I remember them fondly from many years ago.
Regards,
Jan. Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi,
After ringing Holland last night I finally got the quantities of spices used to make rookworst. All spices are ground
5 kg meat mixture,
75 gram Butchers salt.
5 gram Mace,
2 1/2 teasp. Ginger.
5 teasp. Nutmeg
1 1/4 teasp. Chilli powder.
5 teasp. Coriander.
2 1/2 teasp. White pepper.
1 1/4 teasp. Cloves.
2 1/2 teasp. Sugar.
500 ml Ice water

Next week I will be making rookworst with the above mentioned spices, I just hope that the end result is spot on.
Regards,
Jan. Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby ddmaan2 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:33 am

Looks good
crustyo44 wrote:5 kg meat mixture,
75 gram Butchers salt.
5 gram Mace,
2 1/2 teasp. Ginger.
5 teasp. Nutmeg
1 1/4 teasp. Chilli powder.
5 teasp. Coriander.
2 1/2 teasp. White pepper.
1 1/4 teasp. Cloves.
2 1/2 teasp. Sugar.
500 ml Ice water

Can you define Butchers Salt please for the novice, is this ordinary course sea salt? thanks
Dave
Cheers Dave

No one is completely useless, they can always serve as a bad example!
ddmaan2
Registered Member

Postby ddmaan2 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:44 am

Cheers Dave

ddmaan2
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:58 am

THIS IS NOT THE TOPIC FOR ROOKWORST
There are 2 other topics running about rookworst, this topic is about the extreme smoker.
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby ddmaan2 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:47 am

Sorry for that, just thought I was doing a good deed.
Cheers Dave

ddmaan2
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing