1- 1/2 Tbs. Ground coriander
1- 1/2 Tbs. Garlic powder
1- 1/2 Tbs. Mace
1 1/2 cups ice water
1 Tbs. Special meat binder
1 Cup milk powder
1 lb. cheddar cheese chunks
3 tsp cure #1

Grind all meat through a Medium plate. Add ice water then spices, cheese mix. Stuff into natural hog casings. Smoke to an internalof 155 F
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Those look really good. What is the "special meat binder" and where can it be purchased? Made some sausage this weekend using swiss cheese. It was pretty good but a bit too strong on the cheese side. Was thinking either cheddar or mozzarella might be better for next go at it.
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:17 pm

Looks great! :D I wonder if the Light Soda (or beer) makes any difference. :lol:
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Those look really good. What is the "special meat binder" and where can it be purchased? Made some sausage this weekend using swiss cheese. It was pretty good but a bit too strong on the cheese side. Was thinking either cheddar or mozzarella might be better for next go at it.

I make several versions of these, Pepper jack cheese works well and gives it a little kick.

Special meat binder is a phosphate compound to aid in binding the water, fat and protien in a sausage/mix. You can do without it , but you will have to mix a lot. Its avalible from "Butcher Packer" in detroit I think their web site is "butcherpacker.com"
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:37 am

Thanks I'll look closer at their wevsite. I something called amosphosphate or something like that. Probably about the same thing.

Do you ever pull the sausaged out a little early and give them a steam bath then shower will cold water? Been experimenting some with this and have really been pleased with the results. Seems to give the casing more snap.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:08 am

I looked at my label is says item # 414 "Hunters Special meat binder" I think its from Butcher packer but it could be from The Sausage maker.com in Buffalo

I like to let them cool down in the smoker and let it smoke as it cools down. when it gets to 80F i remove them and put the in the fridge to chill out overnight. they have a slightly wrinkled skin with lots of snap. I have given some a cold water bath as soon as they hit my internal temp, they don't get as wrinkled but i didn't think they had as much snap. So Its easier to just let them decay in temp while still getting some smoldering smoke its the KISS principal LOL
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:18 am

They changed the name still model # 414 it is from Butcher Packer

Special meat binder (1lb)
$5.85
Here is a product which can eliminate the need for any other form of meat binder. Soy protein concentrate, milk powder, whey, starches, and gums are all binders which are used to retain water which makes you think you are getting more. These binders are ineffective for the most part of holding water and the natural juices which are in the meat at temperatures in excess of 165°F. In the meat industry these products are known as fillers and are basically used in cheaper meat formulas. To use the Natural Protein in the meat is the only way to make a wholesome product, and our Special Meat Binder is especially formulated to do just that. Just use 2 oz in 25 pounds of meat instead of soy protein concentrate or any other binder and enjoy a moist and tastier product.

Add to Cart:

•Model: 414
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Soy protein and stuff gets expensive.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing