ProQ CSG keeps going out

Postby Pete Franklin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:31 am

Hi all thanks for the tips hopefully a combo of those tips and the correct wood will sort out my issues.

I have just spoken to the fella at Macs BBqs and he said it would be fine for me to buy any combo of dust i wanted for £25 so i went for 3x Apple 3x Oak and 2x Hickory. he said just to put a note in the comments section on paypal.

Looking forward to some more smoked bacon in a couple of weeks- using apple wood. British pork loins are £4.50kg in Tescos at the moment making it a good saving on shop bought bacon- not to mention the fact that it tastes way better. (Cant bring myself to buy that dutch meat!)
Pete Franklin
Registered Member

Re: ProQ CSG keeps going out

Postby gbiggs007 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:26 am

FYI - I'm in Dallas, Texas. I have been having a very frustrating time with the ProQ going out every few minutes. I couldn't figure out if it was the sawdust, the ProQ or ventilation. Among a variety of solutions, I had previously attempted to dry the sawdust in the microwave, but only for a minute or 2 - apparently not long enough.

Last night, after my usual numerous frustrating failures, I dehydrated a new batch of sawdust in the microwave for 2 minutes, stirred it a bit and then microwaved it for 2 more. But before it was done, a few dark spots in the middle appeared and it had begun smoldering profusely in the microwave. I dumped it into the ProQ and into the ProQ and it continued smoking [a lot!]! Since the whole thing was smoldering, it was causing too much heat, so after an hour of cold smoking the salmon, I decided to make it a hot smoke by finishing it in the microwave. But now, at least, I felt hopeful about the ProQ!

So today I microwaved another new batch of sawdust again but broke up the time into smaller periods to avoid it igniting and totaling 3 minutes. After pouring it into the ProQ and leveling it [but not compacting it], I lit it with the torch and [IT STAYED LIT!], but I wanted more smoke, so I lit the other end too. It's doing so well after smoking the salmon for another hour and only 1/4 sawdust was used so I started some cheeses. I am greatly relieved to see it FINALLY working!

Sorry this is so long winded! HAPPY SMOKING!
gbiggs007
Newly Registered

Postby NCPaul » Fri May 27, 2016 9:49 am

Welcome to the forum. :D When it works it's great isn't it?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Swing Swang » Fri May 27, 2016 7:53 pm

gbiggs007 wrote:But before it was done, a few dark spots in the middle appeared and it had begun smoldering profusely in the microwave

Been there, done that, stank the house out too...spouse started singing a song popularised by Tammy Wynette...
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri May 27, 2016 11:36 pm

:lol: :lol:

You ain't the only one!
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:53 pm

keep my dust in the airing cupboard , never had a problem

cheers ww