Natural gas smoker/grill

Natural gas smoker/grill

Postby driekus » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Im looking to start getting into smoking meat and BBQing. Our condo has a restriction on propane and charcol BBQ's so was looking for a good and relatively inexpensive smoker/grill for doing small quantities of meat.
driekus
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:44 am

I can't see them letting you use natural gas if you can't use propane, how about an electric smoker?. But I bet some one will complain about the smoke. Condo's suck
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby driekus » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:33 pm

We are definitely allowed natural gas as they provide the outlet on the balcony.
Not sure the reason why this is the case, Edmonton is a brutally cold climate, maybe that is the reason.
driekus
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:29 pm

almost any propane BBQ/smoker can be converted to natural gas you just need to remove the propane hose and connect the ng hose to connect to your supply. thats what I did 12 yearsago and now its time to get a new Q. Can't get burners any more for my current Q and the grills need to be replaced too. As i have the converion kit I just need to buy a propane Q and change it over.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby driekus » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Well I managed to get hold of condo board and they do allow charcol BBQ's which makes me happy.
Can anyone recommend a low cost smoker for me to learn on?
I was thinking of getting the grillpro 16 Traditional Vertical

http://www.barbecuecountry.com/products.html?category=3&subcategory=10&manufacture=9

I really need something inexpensive (to convince the wife :))

Any suggestions would be appreciated
driekus
Registered Member

Postby driekus » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:02 pm

Sorry for double posting but thought I would add more info in.

My wife's workplace has awards for long service and one award is a weber charcol grill. Can I use that as a smoker? I know the temperature may not be right but would it give me something to start on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
driekus
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:53 pm

You can use a weber charcoal grill as a smoker by setting it up for indirect heat and managing your fire. It is difficult, however, to control temperatures and you will have to fiddle with it quite a bit to maintain temperatures for anything over 2 hours or so.

If you're interested in a low-cost charcoal smoker the Weber Smoky Mountain smoker (google it) is amazing. I bought it 5 years ago and it continues to surprise me with how easy it is to use. I can use it for cooking a chicken at 350 F or for warm-smoking sausages or cheese at 90F. A full load of charcoal will maintain temperatures at 250F for 18 hours or longer once you get the hang of it.

The WSM has similar durability as your wife's office's weber grill as well.

I'm a bit of a fanboy as you can tell. More info available at www.virtualweberbullet.com and the associated forum.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:16 pm

driekus wrote:We are definitely allowed natural gas as they provide the outlet on the balcony.
Not sure the reason why this is the case, Edmonton is a brutally cold climate, maybe that is the reason.

Maybe they don't like the idea of a pressurized bottle on the balcony so ban propane, but you can use the low pressure outlet.?

I'd certainly try out your wife's Weber first, you have nothing to lose.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby GarretT » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:16 pm

For a little smoker, I agree that the Weber smoker is a great choice. It seems to be the most popular little smoker around. It also has a huge fan base online which can help with setting it up as well as recipes and maintenance.
Garret - lookin' for some Nashville Patio Furniture to put around my grill & smoker
GarretT
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing