Cold smoking in the Bradley

Cold smoking in the Bradley

Postby Ian » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:23 am

Hi

I have succesfully cold smoked 3 whole salmon using the bradley smoker.

I placed ice cubes in the bottom "diffuser plate" half hour before smoking which cools the smoker, the smoker is then turned on allowing the smoke to pass over the ice and once a good head of smoke is achieved and the biscuits smouldering nicely turn off the smoker. The biscket carries on smouldering but the temperature surrounding the salmon did not go above 30 C.

The temperature/smoke can be controlled by unplugging the unit as the temperature rises and plugged in as it drops.

I unplug the unit as I believe the biscuit tray stays hot even when the unit is switched off.

Hope this helps

Ian
Ian Knox
Ian
Registered Member

Postby TonyE » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:27 pm

Hi Ian

I purchased a Bradley Smoker about a year ago, and like yourself wishing to Cold Smoke Salmon. (but now want to try Smoked Sausage)

I had a used a external metal container and fitted the Smoke Generator into it. I then used a piece of 6" Flexible Metal hose about 3' long to direct the smoke into the Smoker, it works a treat.

Have you tried smoking sausage yet????
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:57 pm

I think that the separate hot box is the way to go, as it's easier to control.

Has anyone smoked pigeon breasts? I 've been given a couple of hundred and want to smoke them but am not sure if they should be pre-brined or not. Any ideas?
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby TonyE » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:12 pm

If you have plenty of Pigeon Breasts you could try brining half of them
and leaving the other half without brine, just to see how they turn out.

I would try a wet brine at 80% solution for about 30 minutes, take the breasts out of the brine, rinse them off, and let them dry for about 1 hour

As it is a red robust meat, I would smoke with Oak or Hickory, what smoker do you have???
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:06 pm

I use a Bradley, which I got from Welsh Wizard. It's a first class piece of kit, especially with the adaptation for cold smoking
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby TonyE » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:21 am

Hi Hobbitfeet

Just a thought on Smoking Pigeon Breasts, you must cure ALL the breasts
to prevent Botulism (Food Poisoning)

I was checking my notes on Cures and found the following:-

Cures are used to prevent Botulism, Botulism is triggered by the following:-

1) Lack of Oxygen
2) Moisture
3) Temp 90F - 160F

Smoking food provides the ideal conditions for Botulism, either Cure all the breasts, or get the internal temperature of the meat above 160F

Let me know how you get on
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:52 pm

I believe with poultry the risk of smoking uncured meat is with Salmonella.

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:23 am

Hi TonyE

I have just smoked 10lb of pheasant and cranberry soaked in port and 10lb of pheasant and apricot. Both have excellent flavour and texture.

I hot smoked them rather than cold smoked so they can be brought back to life from frozen in the micro (kids love them).

I now want to have a go at a more traditional smoked sausage but this will have to wait until nearer Christmas.

Cheers WW.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby TonyE » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:06 pm

Hi WW

I am keen to start smoking Sausage and am trawling through Len Pouli's site. I would be interested to know how you get on, when you smoke sausage, are you using the Bradley?????
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:28 pm

Hi TonyE

Yep I sure am using a Bradly, and I know I act as an agent but in my humble opinion the Bradley is one of the best on the market. It keeps the temp constant and no need to faff around stiring up the smoking chips, just feed in how many you want and off you go.

As I said I did some hot smoked sausages and they really are excellent, but when smoking make sure you do not overcook them or they can become far too dry. I tend to smoke a large ammount, freeze them down and the kids bring them back to life in the micro for a good healthy snack when they come in from school before I get back and get on with the tea. The only reason I smoked a load this week was I thought there was c10lb left in the freezer but when I came home from the seat of learning, or the pub, no smokey things to stave off my hunger were found! the kids had scoffed the lot........yum yum

I know Hobbit Feet cold smokes a mean sausage, I think pigeon and venision was his last attempt and these were very good by all accounts and I am sure he could offer some advice on cold smoking but as yet I have remained true to hot smoking.

Cheers WW.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:35 pm

The one thing that puts me off the Bradley is the fact you have to purchase these proprietary woodchips. Has nobody come up with a cheaper alternative?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Hobbitfeet » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:21 pm

Thanks WW - the pigeon and cassis sausages, cold smoked for 2 hours are the finest of any sausage that I have tasted! I didn't get on with the ice/snow method and have simply slotted the smoke generator into a largish cardboard box (I was a bit woried about it bursting into flames...but it didn't) and led the smoke with some metal air ducting (B+Q's finest...under a fiver) into the cabinet proper which was elevated on a patio table.

As to the bisquettes...there was a thread which suggested making your own with sawdust/small chips in a cornstarch binder. I must say I'm happy with the proprietry ones.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing