Pecan wood chips?

Pecan wood chips?

Postby grisell » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:49 am

Anyone familiar with these? I tried them and found the smell and taste extremely bitter. It ruined my pizzas (I make pizzas in an electric pizza oven and flavour with some smoke from burning wood chips). Is the bitterness normal? Any other suggestions what wood I can use that would work whn baking pizza? I can choose between pecan, apple, cherry, hickory and mesquite.

PS Oak is the traditional wood, but I couldn't find any chips, only shavings, and they burn too fast.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:56 pm

As wood from a nut producing tree pecan is the most similar to hickory in my experience. I found it more mellow than hickory, and it is my go-to wood when smoking pastramis and beef jerky. Maybe you didn't get a clean burn somehow or oversmoked your pizzas? Sorry I can't offer more information/help.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:42 pm

I don't know. :? It's possible that there was too much smoke, yes. I might try it again with less smoke.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:44 pm

For what it's worth when I make grilled pizza I don't add any smoke wood, finding that the smoke from lump charcoal is enough to give the subtle smoke flavor I'm looking for.

If I'm using my gas grill in a pinch, I add one small (like golf ball sized) chunk of smoke wood over the interlock burner on the left side, but more often than not I don't add any wood at all.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:11 am

Doesn't sound like pecan if it was bitter unless you allowed the smoke to lay on the pizza without air flow.
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing