Advice gratefully received.

Advice gratefully received.

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:14 pm

The OH is looking for a new barbeque. So I thought, good idea for his birthday. He seems to have narrowed it down to the Brinkmann Professional Dual Zone Grill and Barbeque. Does anyone have any experience with this model? I understand it can be used in a smoking capacity which I would want. We have an Eckman smoker barbeque in France that is fantastic but, sadly no longer available. Any input re this one or other models gratefully received. Also, does anyone have the La Hacienda with the pizza oven? Looks interesting.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:08 am

If you want a dual purpose for my interpretation of your needs, then you can't do better than a ceramic cooker like The Big Green Egg. I have many friends that use that style of grill/smoker and they make excellent food. There are other ceramic cooker brands that may be a better option for your locale, but that style is my recommendation for you.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:52 am

Hi Jenny
The Brinkmann looks a nice piece of kit. I use an offset smoker/barbeque from MacsBBQ that I find great for slow indirect heat cooking/smoking and for direct heat barbequeing. It is something like this one, that they presently stock: http://www.smokingbbq.co.uk/product/Mav ... _PROQ-MAVD
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:34 am

Thanks for the replies guys. The Maverick is the same type I have in France, it's a super barbeque. I particularly like the cast iron grills, and I notice the Maverick has those. I'll also investigate the Big Geen Egg type and see what he thinks. He'll be doing the cooking on it, I prep the food then stand back.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Jen, I've seen the Brinkmann up close at a local wholesale club, but not used this model. Many years ago, my dad had a Brinkmann covered wagon-style with one, full-width, adjustable grate, though. The adjustable grates make for great grilling, but I think it will only be a fair smoker for this reason: the chamber is relatively small, and the heat is difficult to control in that space. While you can do indirect cooking, the draft looks like it would be difficult to control. Also, you have to replace coals fairly often because the grates, themselves are small. Just my impression.

If mostly what you will be doing is grilling, this looks like a great grill for direct and indirect grilling, but don't expect it to be a great smoker. It should be ok for occasional smoking, with some effort, but if you do a lot of smoking, then you really would do better with a dedicated smoker.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks Tom, your depth of knowledge and experience is appreciated. I had a feeling this might be the case. I'll pursue the more dedicated smoker range for this purchase.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing