BBQ Ribs

Postby vagreys » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:30 am

wheels wrote:...I was surprised how chili-hot it was with the Memphis dust rub and Kansas sauce (with added tamarind) although that may be due to my interpretation of what US Chili powder is (over here , in the Indian grocers where I get my spices, chili powder is just ground dried chilis) - is Memphis style bbq (albeit with an added sauce) meant to be hot?

Not necessarily, but they can be. Depends on the chili powder and how much hot chili one chooses to use. Mine tickle the tonsils but don't make you break a sweat. US Chili Powder comes in two forms: varietal chili ground to a powder, and a blend of seasonings featuring ground chili, cumin, oregano, paprika, and sometimes salt and other seasonings. I like to use a moderately mild Ancho chili powder, or sometimes a no-salt blend, if I want the cumin/oregano character in the flavor profile.
...I only smoked it for a short time <1 hour as suggested: It wasn't anywhere near enough IMO - how smoked is the norm?
I use four chunks of hickory in the coals for the entire time. How much smoke is a matter of taste, and if it wasn't enough smoke for you, then you need to smoke longer.
...The meat was tender but stuck well to the ribs - that's how the instructions said it would be. For some reason I expected it to be more 'fall apart' tender. I think that my guests - having had TGI Fridays and other 'chain-restaurant' ribs were expecting a fall-apart product as well.

IMO, falling off the bone is overcooked, with a mushy texture, and a lot less flavorful. I like a little "chew" and a bone that cleans, but with a little work. If you have to work a little at cleaning the bone, then you are taking time to savor the flavor.
...Oh, finally a Boston Baked Beans question - is there meant to be tomato/tomato puree/tomato ketchup in the sauce, or not?

Boston Baked Beans are a variety of baked bean dish, but one that does not traditionally call for tomato. Some other varieties of baked beans, including BBQ Baked Beans, call for tomato in one form or another. Boston Baked Beans are called that because of their traditional molasses content (usually white beans cooked with water, molasses, brown sugar, a little mustard to balance the sweetness, and some spices).
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby NCPaul » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:36 am

This is how much hickory wood I use in my bullet smoker

IMO the smoke should be applied early in the process (I get about 2-3 hours from what I've shown). I wouldn't bother with the foil; looking at the thickness of your ribs I would guess you were about one hour short in cooking. They look delicious. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Many thanks both.

Reviewing it all in my mind, I had more-or-less come to the conclusion that I should have cooked them longer.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:05 pm

wheels wrote:Many thanks both.

Reviewing it all in my mind, I had more-or-less come to the conclusion that I should have cooked them longer.

Phil

If I could get away in sending you some of them ribs we had I would cuz you know that I do not like them :roll:

Joking aside, I do wish that I could cuz Mr.T's ribs are :drool: :mrgreen:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:13 pm

wheels wrote:.

Oh, finally a Boston Baked Beans question - is there meant to be tomato/tomato puree/tomato ketchup in the sauce, or not?

Phil

Boston baked are molasses based like Tom said earlier, but if you want a great BBQ bean recipe try this;

This is a creation from "Dutch" who is a well respected mod at TheSmokingMeatForums.com I always make a double batch when I do make them and it's still not enough.

WICKED BAKED BEANS
(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced
1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
1 - 55 ounce can Bushs Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Saute bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Saute onion, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

DISCLAIMER

With the Jalapeno±o pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeno±o pepper and the dry mustard.

Dutch
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:23 am

That does look like a great recipe, Dan.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby salumi512 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:12 am

Here comes my expertise. My family is from North Carolina, I live in Texas, and I learned how to cook ribs in Memphis.

There is no need for a sauce, to create a juicy spare rib. But there is nothing wrong with sauce on the side.

I trim my ribs, but not necessary.

What is necessary is removing the membrane from the back of the ribs.

Apply your rub (mine is mostly paprika, pepper and salt).

Rest in the fridge overnight.

For spare ribs I use applewood and hickory for smoke.

Cook at 250 F for 5 hours, and baste every 30 minutes with a water/beer/vinegar mix for the first 2 hours.

No foil ever on pork ribs. I do foil beef ribs.

They are done when they break when bending them back over 90 degrees.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:30 am

BriCan wrote:
I trim the bones down still wondering what to do with them ---- Soup pot maybe

These are trimmed a bit too much for meaty BBQ, but I would definitely cross cut them into riblets, then marinate and grill them. They sell these riblets precut at the market, but I'm sure Brican has a nice bandsaw to cut his.

Recipe follows the pic:

Ingredients:

12 crosscut riblets
Quick Marinade
Carolina Sauce

The Quick Marinade is:
2 tblsp olive oil
2 tblsp fish sauce (preferably one that is just fermented anchovy, salt and water)
4-5 garlic cloves crushed and chopped
4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme

If you can't get yourself to use the fish sauce (which really speeds up the marinating process) then you could use soy or worcestershire. I'll note that worcestershire has fermented anchovy in it as well.

Carolina Sauce:
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tblsp brown sugar
1 tblsp course black pepper
1 tblsp salt
1 tsp red pepper flakes

Get the grill nice and hot, and use some wood chunks if available. I use apple and hickory.

Marinate the ribs for 30 - 45 minutes in a plastic bag on the counter, flipping a few times (I do it while the fire is getting hot). Drain so the don't have oil dripping into the fire.

If the membrane is still on the back then place that side over the fire first to burn it off. A little flare up is fine to get it burned off, but not engulfed in flames.

Cook about 10 minutes at a heat where 4 seconds is too hot to leave your hand over the grate. Cook ten more minutes on the other side, basting with Carolina sauce during the last 5 minutes.

At this point I usually put them in a 250 F oven while I grill the lemon potatoes (about 20 minutes). By the time the potatoes are done, the ribs are perfect. Baste with Carolina sauce again and serve.

We eat these at least once a week.
Last edited by salumi512 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:26 am

salumi512 wrote:
BriCan wrote:
I trim the bones down still wondering what to do with them ---- Soup pot maybe

These are trimmed a bit too much for meaty BBQ, but I would definitely cross cut them into riblets, then marinate and grill them.

I can provide recipe if desired.

Hey I’m not bashful :lol: you do relies that I am trying to live up to the image that I hate chewing on bones :mrgreen: but yes please :drool:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:38 pm

When it comes to meat looking that good, I'll gladly skip any shyness and beg for the recipe too.
Banjoe
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:54 pm

BriCan wrote:Hey I’m not bashful :lol: you do relies that I am trying to live up to the image that I hate chewing on bones :mrgreen: but yes please :drool:

I updated my previous post to put the recipe with the pic.

Enjoy!
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:11 pm

OK, now I'm confused. Where the heck are those bits of ribs from!

Please don't forget that I'm new to all this!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby salumi512 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:55 am

wheels wrote:OK, now I'm confused. Where the heck are those bits of ribs from!
Phil

Riblets are a concept more than a cut. They are leftover cuts from what you've already butchered. In Brican's case, they are leftover ribs from trimming out loins.

It is a way to make use of what is leftover. And, make it taste sensational. I really enjoy finding the "ethnic" cuts of meat and doing something great with them. This is one of those recipes.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:57 pm

Riblets could be spare ribs sawed the long way right?
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:34 pm

oh man - now switching animals we are gettign into Kalbi teritory. FOr those not familiar beef short ribs cut across 3 bones. At work so can't post a pic now but boy are they great!!

** recipe courtesy of the food network**

Just did 6 pounds on Labor Day and they were a hit with everyone!!

Ingredients
5 pounds Korean style beef short ribs*
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup mirin (rice wine)
1 small onion, peeled and finely grated
1 small Asian pear, peeled and finely grated
4 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)

Preparation:
Directions
Sprinkle brown sugar over beef and mix well to evenly coat. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes while preparing marinade. In a bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Transfer beef into a large sealable freezer bag (you may need 2). Add marinade, press out excess air from bags, and seal. Turn bag over several times to ensure beef is evenly coated. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.

Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium-hot. Drain excess marinade off beef. Grill short ribs, turning once, to desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Garnish with thinly sliced green onions, if desired. Serve whole pieces as a main course or cut into smaller pieces, using kitchen shears, for a starter or party nibble.

* NOTE: Korean-style short ribs can be found at most Asian markets. The cut, also known as "flanken," refers to a strip of beef cut across the bone from the chuck end of the short ribs. Unlike American and European-style short ribs, which include a thick slice of bone-in beef, Korean-style short ribs are cut lengthwise across the rib bones. The result is a thin strip of meat, about 8 to10 inches in length, lined on 1 side with 1/2-inch thick rib bones. The thin slices make for fast cooking on the grill.

A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing