Smoked dried Porcini

Smoked dried Porcini

Postby Ryan C » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:39 pm

Hello everyone, hope you are all well :D

Well, mushroom season is here again and as usual, I will be spending every spare (rain-free) moment wandering round the woods looking for mushrooms. Usually I find an abundance of Boletes (porcini/cep/whatever) which I slice then dry for use throughout the year.
This year I would love to smoke some mushrooms before drying. The idea of smoked dried porcini that I could chuck into a nice pasta sauce has my mouth watering now! :shock:
My problem is I don't know if it would be best to salt or brine them first? Maybe it is best to do neither and just slice, smoke then dry? Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone ever had smoked mushrooms?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, keep up the good work on this fantastic site everyone :D

All the best :D

Ryan
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Sounds wonderful! Why not smoke the dried slices?

Keep us informed please....

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Ok a quick update,

It's been a very poor year for Boletes so far this year. I've only found half a dozen or so which were scoffed as soon as I got home :oops: :oops:
However, I will have a good forage this weekend so I can hopefully cold smoke a few as an experiment.
Thanks for the suggestion onewheeler, I think you may be right. I've decided not to salt or brine any mushrooms before smoking because of the way I want to use them. My usual way of cooking with the dried mushrooms is to throw them in to a nice pasta sauce to thicken and add flavour. If I salt the mushrooms first then they could possibly over-season the dish.
So, I'm going to try smoking some dried mushrooms and I'm going to try smoke-drying some fresh mushrooms. My guess is that the difference will be negligible, in which case I think that onewheelers suggestion will be the more convenient. I'll post my results, can't see how they won't be delicious.

All the best :D

Ryan :D
Ryan C
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing