Guinness sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Guinness sausage

Postby BriCan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:49 am

The challenge/task was given to me by the Chef (and good friend, Kevin) to come up with a Guinness sausage for a bbq this weekend.

Nothing fancy, just a simple thing that would/will wow the punters :wink:

Starting with the basic ingredients is the base of any good quality product, too many times have I seen what has been good quality products ruined by sloppy workmanship and inferior ingredients :roll:

Using local is part of what we do and for our pork I have found no better than that what we get from Johnstons Local-Quality my go to people since 1982

The next part is to be able to put together a flavour profile within the mind -- to know what the end product will taste like using fresh spices and herbs -- and most of all using the real thing --- Guinness which is imported from Ireland

First things first is to dice up the pork, after which it is coarse ground twice to get an even blend of fat and lean --- nothing worse than a dry sausage :shock:

To this is added one can of Irish Guinness, the coarse ground meat and Guinness is mixed well and placed in the cooler for a few hours so that the Guinness will infuse the meat with its loveliness :lol:

Spices are mixed with care to enhance the meat flavour and also not to overpower the Guinness taste, well after all this is a Guinness sausage :wink:

Spices and Rusk are mixed together and placed alongside of the coarse ground infused pork; to this is added an additional three can of the dark velvety nectar called Guinness -- this is then blended well for the required time and left to rest before stuffing into natural casings

Once stuffed into the natural casings and linked to the 'appropriate' length (well they have to fit the bun right) -- who in there right minds likes biting into a bun with a sausage in only to get a mouthful of bread we let the snorkers rest overnight so that the flavours will meld and bloom

The following day the Chef uses a rasher of our own made in house Smithfield bacon (this bacon is a take on an old English recipe of a heavy cold smoked bacon from Smithfield Meat Market in London) wrap around the Guinness sausage building upon an already great flavour profile thus taking it that one step above what is already over the top :)

After cooking to perfection the only thing to add to what is already something that is over the top and orgasmic is to add a sinful amount of caramelized onions ...... Heaven :mrgreen:

Corse ground ready for stuffing

Stuffed and ready for a rest in the cooler overnight

Close up of the tasty treats

Cooking off a sample just to make sure all is good ..... still :wink:

The final plate up ..... :mrgreen: :drool:

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Re: Guinness sausage

Postby ped » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:59 pm

That's not fair!, you draw us in with siren call of lady Guinness and then leave us hanging on the full recipe?, come on Robert do what you know is right! :)
ped
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:03 pm

I was (wrongfully) assuming that no one wanted the recipe Peter :wink: :mrgreen:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:08 pm

I, for one would like to read more.

I may not always post a reply, but I always have a look at every thread.

I took it for granted that others would reply and that you'd tell us the recipe. :oops: :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:14 am

I was wondering how much you reduced the liquid.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby BriCan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:05 am

NCPaul wrote:I was wondering how much you reduced the liquid.

I didn't :oops: :oops: :shock:

I increased it :mrgreen: :drool:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:43 am

The plot thickens...

...anything for sweetness, other than the topping of onion?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:53 pm

wheels wrote:The plot thickens...

...anything for sweetness, other than the topping of onion?

Phil

Other than spices ... yep :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:04 pm

I took 12kg of pork shoulder and belly trim 2/3rds - 1/3rd (pork comes from my local supplier/slaughter house)

Coarse ground twice to make sure of an even blend -- to this I added 1 can (440 ml) and 150 ml of port -- mixed well then covered with bakers parchment paper and placed in the cooler for at least two hours so that the booze could impregnate the meat .........
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:46 pm

Nice, Guiness and Port is a lethal Combo!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:10 am

wheels wrote:Nice, Guinness and Port is a lethal Combo!

Phil

I never knew :|

Seem to work out in most things I use it for :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:35 pm

I took 12kg of pork shoulder and belly trim 2/3rds - 1/3rd (pork comes from my local supplier/slaughter house)

Coarse ground twice to make sure of an even blend -- to this I added 1 can (440 ml) and 150 ml of port -- mixed well then covered with bakers parchment paper and placed in the cooler for at least two hours so that the booze could impregnate the meat .........

Well this seems to a long drawn out recipe, which was not my intention ....

but saying that it might have generated lynching mobs :)

So without further ado ......

Spices for this 12kg of meat as follows

210g salt
15g white pepper
15g black pepper
20g nutmeg
25g coriander
10g mace
5g cayenne

As I was adding liquid (Guinness -- well it is a Guinness sausage so one has to add a liberal amount :mrgreen: ) I needed something to dry it out a bit. Rusk was the standby and on the other hand I did not want the bread taste to take over so this now was going to be a fine line

450g Rusk was used

Taking the container that had the twice course ground pork that hopefully by now had been infused with the Guinness and port out of the cooler I pulled the infused meat back on its self so that I had a quarter of the bottom of the tub/container exposed so that I could place in the Rusk and spices

For liquid instead of water I added two 440ml cans of Guinness, upon seeing how the Rusk absorbed the Guinness I decided (with trepidation) to add one more 440 ml can

I hand blended for about two minutes before regrinding once more with the coarse plate and then stuffing into 29/32 hog casings, hand linked to fit hotdog buns so that one would not get a mouthful of bread when taking the first bite

Overall it turned out to one of the best creations (fresh sausage) that I have done for some time ... The texture was perfect on these with great mouth feel --- the surprising thing was with all the Guinness (four 440 ml cans) it was not overpowering with the Guinness taste -- it has turned out to be a great all round sausage that we will be doing again
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:36 pm

wheels wrote:Nice, Guiness and Port is a lethal Combo!

Her indoors is partial to it. She ordered one in a bar and was told she'd got a Velvet Pussy.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/mar/16/saint-patricks-day-guinness-recipes will save the embarrassment of some of the other links that appear if you google it :oops:

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:42 pm

The way I've seen it done is for the port, in its glass, to be put into a pint pot and the Guinness poured around it without 'disturbing' the port. Supposedly, as you drink it, the port trickles out into the black stuff.

The sausage looks fantastic... ...and once again we see a master at work. Others would have just added dextrose or sugar to cut the bitter edge of the Guinness, Brican has gone 'the extra mile' and used Port.

Phil :D :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Looks great, as usual!
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Next