Back to work

Introductions and chatter

Back to work

Postby vagreys » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:08 pm

Back from a two-week camping event with over 10,000 attendees, where i was the coordinator for disability transportation around the site. Back home and still putting things away, but it's time to get back to work developing this chiang mai currywurst I've been asked to create.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Re: Back to work

Postby wheels » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:01 pm

Wow, that's a big event. Is it a permanent site? How many permanent wheelchair users, as in can't walk at all? .

...and what sort of facilities are provided for them.

Sorry, not being nosy, call it professional interest. :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Glad you're back!
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:10 am

wheels wrote:Wow, that's a big event. Is it a permanent site? How many permanent wheelchair users, as in can't walk at all? .

...and what sort of facilities are provided for them.

Sorry, not being nosy, call it professional interest. :lol:

Phil

The site is Coopers Lake Campground, near Slippery Rock, PA. It is a permanent site, with RV camping, and tent camping ranging from primitive to sites with both electric and water utilities. Not sure how many non-ambulatory attendees there actually are - many use owned/rented scooters to move about. Some use wheelchairs, but the site is hilly, so most returning campers with mobility issues use motorized scooters. The site is ADA-compliant (Americans with Disabilities Act). The camp grocery, bath house and laundry facilities are at ground level. The ice store and flush bathrooms have ADA compliant ramps. Handicapped-accessible portable toilets are provided for the event.The merchants and food court are all wheelchair accessible. A Disability Camp Area is available, with electrical outlets and water available at each tent site, and a timeshare charging station for charging batteries and scooters. Many choose to camp with friends elsewhere on the site. Some paths are paved, others packed permanent dirt/gravel roads, and still others are temporary turf paths that become inaccessible after rainstorms. A campground bus service (not handicapped accessible) is available for those able to negotiate the steps, My department, Disability Transport, provides transportation for those who cannot negotiate the bus. I had three 3-passenger golf carts available, each serving a different portion of the campground. We moved 771 passengers over 10 days, using all volunteer drivers.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:52 am

Wow, it sounds superb. For many years I had a caravan with wheelchair access, but site facilities here were nothing like as good as you describe. That said, we enjoyed some great holidays both here and in France.

The trouble over here is that, although we have legislation saying that facilities must be provided, we don't have any official body actively policing it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ruralidle » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:22 pm

Too true Phil, you only have to try to use the London Underground in a wheelchair to know that there is little effective policing of our disability access laws :x
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:20 pm

Vagreys I'm very excited to follow your chaing mai currywurst development!

The currywurst in UK is typically an indian type curry right? For thai sausages I would think that a red curry would be good for people seeking spicy, but a masaman curry would go great if it's accompanied with fried potatoes!
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:39 pm

These are the kinds of lines I'm thinking along. Just getting started on this due to life getting in the way. Examining approaches to chiang-mai, common elements, etc., now.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:21 pm

OK, so the parameters of the dinner changed, and children were added to the dinner guest list. I also found out that the guest of honor's wife isn't keen on hot peppers. So I went with a milder curry profile. Not a true chiang mai-style sausage, but the owners of the mom and pop Thai grocery near me really liked it. I'm still refining the recipe, but the dinner went off well and everyone loved the sausage. So, we'll be refining it, here. I ended up using 85/15 pork shoulder, panang curry paste, garlic, small Thai shallots, galangal, gra-shai, keffir lime leaves, black pepper, fish sauce, and coconut cream (31% fat). For the sauce, I again used panang curry paste, coconut milk (26% fat), and a little fish sauce. I'll post the recipe and its refinements in its own thread.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Chatter