Gobble, Gobble Turkey Sausage and Cures

Recipes for all sausages

Gobble, Gobble Turkey Sausage and Cures

Postby wheels » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks John.

I've got a freezer full of meat to clear including a 20lb Bronze turkey that had a very much reduced price in Mr Sainsbury's supermarket last January. Given that I'd bought a load of cheap bone-out thighs just before last Christmas, I really do something with it all to use it up.

I'm thinking that these recipes will adapt well, although I have some concerns as chicken recipes don't always work with turkey as well as you'd think they would.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Gobble, Gobble Turkey Sausage and Cures

Postby onewheeler » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:19 pm

wheels wrote:I'm thinking that these recipes will adapt well, although I have some concerns as chicken recipes don't always work with turkey as well as you'd think they would.

The sun-dried tomato sounds good with turkey, it's got a bit more flavour than chicken (at least the dark meat has, but then I'm more of a leg than a breast man :oops: ). Turkey, spinach and feta is the family favourite here, it might work even better with a crumbly Lancashire. Could be worth experimenting with halloumi or mozzarrella, maybe even smoked?

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks Martin,

The turkey, basil and tomato, along with turkey, spinach and some form of cheese, will certainly feature. To be 'on trend', maybe turkey, kale and pine nuts?

...anyone ever done a smoked emulsified 'hot dog' style with turkey?

I've got a lot of turkey, I'll maybe start a new thread!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Turkey is great sausage meat. We dont emulsify but three times through the mincer/mixer is similar and how I prefer it.

Cheese wise I find Halloumi too firm but Mozzarella goes in many of our recipes.

Turkey and cranberries is obvious but very nice, we sell a lot around this time of year :)
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:09 pm

If I was a commercial producer, Turkey and Cranberry would be top of my list. However, I'm just not keen; I know that I'm in a very small, minority but I just don't think that they go together.

I'd like to keep at least one of them 'local', so it'll maybe have White Stilton (although that's difficult to get nowadays without all sorts of crap added to it). If not, maybe Bosworth from Sparkenhoe, Derby, or Warwickshire cheese from Fowlers, or if all else fails, I'll make some Panir and celebrate Leicester's vibrant Asian community.

I may also cure one of the breasts: any suggestions for a cure will be gratefully received.

...and for a bit of fun, pun based names for turkey sausages are welcome!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:46 pm

I forgot to post a link to one of the best no-pork sausage-making sites on the web. Forum member Tristar's site has some great recipes:

https://nungkysman.wordpress.com/

His Chicken with tarragon, sundried tomato and garlic looks good and looks as if it would adapt well. His Chicken and shrimp Sausage, with feta cheese, and jalapeno pepper also looks good, although I think that this one's best left with chicken. In fact, when I see his recipes it makes me think: "Now why didn't I think of that!"

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:34 pm

awesome recipes - Richard is always inspiring
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Well I made two: Turkey, Spinach and White Stilton and Turkey with Spring Onion, Ginger and Garlic. Neither were much good.

I've come to the conclusion that Turkey and Chicken aren't as interchangeable as I thought they were. :cry:

...Oh well, I've got the cured breasts to look forward to. :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:52 pm

I'm planning on at least a couple of cheap turkeys at the end of season. I'm thinking a turkey, stuffing and cranberry-orange, only using a touch of northern bogberry preserves from the Polish/Eastern European Deli, orange zest, sagey seasoning and herbed rusk. Still working out the recipe. So, herbs, rusk, tart-sweet small berries, and a little orange...I think it could be a good combination with whole ground turkey.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:55 pm

I don't know Phil the turkey onion ginger and garlic sounds real good. Maybe some apple in the mix would change your mind
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:34 pm

Have you ever read this article? Maybe some ideas you could use; I like Tom's idea of orange and sage together. :D

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/200 ... -suck.html
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:43 am

thanks for the link Paul, pretty interesting article.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks Paul

The aubergine/eggplant's a great idea and would presumably also suit any 'low fat/calorie' sausage. I'll maybe have another look at this if there's some cheap turkey about after Christmas.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Sausage Recipes