Building My Curing Chamber - Videos

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Building My Curing Chamber - Videos

Postby IkeO » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:02 pm

Hey everyone,

So I decided to document the entire process ,over the last month or so, of I went through from buying my fridge to adding the necessary parts to make it a successful curing chamber. I wanted to go with a glass door fridge and really build it nice and clean looking so it looks like its just part of my house. I filmed the process. Eventually I will get it all detailed in writing but for now, if your interested, check out these videos on building a curing chamber!

Bought the chamber off of craigslist and cleaning it up. It's a True GDM-19 glass door commercial refrigerator/cooler
phpBB [video]

Set up the stc-1000 temperature controller and testing.
phpBB [video]

Building the WH8040 Humidity Controller
phpBB [video]

Humidity Controller Design
phpBB [video]

Testing the Humidity Controller
phpBB [video]

Testing how the chamber runs.
phpBB [video]

Testing Duck Breast Prosciutto in the Chamber. Great easy way to kick off if everything is working properly.
phpBB [video]

Figured out how to sepearte the fan (that runs all the time) from the compressor for better air flow!
phpBB [video]

Cleaning up the wires. How I hid the power cords coming from the humidifier.
phpBB [video]

Successful curing of Pancetta and Bresaola and what I've learned so far.
phpBB [video]

I'll add any more as I go. I am also converting an amazing under the stairs cellar in my house for conditions for curing too. So be on the look out for those. If you have any suggestions or questions let me know! Thanks for watching. :mrgreen:
IkeO
Registered Member

Re: Building My Curing Chamber - Videos

Postby wheels » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:59 pm

That's fantastic, but now you're hooked you'll need a far larger bookshelf!

I'm sure that it will help many others trying to do the same.

For longer term curing projects you could cover the door, or keep the room dark - it helps avoid (the possibility of) rancidity in the product.

I'm really looking forward to reading about the things you make in it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby IkeO » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:06 pm

wheels wrote:That's fantastic, but now you're hooked you'll need a far larger bookshelf!

I'm sure that it will help many others trying to do the same.

For longer term curing projects you could cover the door, or keep the room dark - it helps avoid (the possibility of) rancidity in the product.

I'm really looking forward to reading about the things you make in it.

Phil

Thanks Phil,

What's really great is that my basement has almost no natural light that comes into it. the only light down there is when i turn them on. and all the lights in my house are LED (which i read doesnt cause fat and meat to go rancid; ill have to do further research). So I might be able to get away with not having to really ever cover it up. Time will tell i guess.

I didnt realize how much doing home charcuterie requires trail and error :) I guess thats the fun/frustraiting part :D
IkeO
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:41 pm

It sounds as if you've got the light problem covered.

The science/craft of making charcuterie is well recorded, it's knowing who to take notice of, and who to ignore, that's the problem! As is gearing the equipment to your own locality and ambient conditions.

... well that's my experience anyway.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby cajuneric » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Ike,

I have a similar fridge. What did you do in regards to the fan. Do you have it running all the time or do you only have it running when the motor turns on. Also what did you do to lower the RH. It seems mine holds the humidity quite well. Thanks and it looks great!!
cajuneric
Newly Registered

Return to Curing Techniques