Looking for a TALL S/STEEL smoker cabinet nr NOTTINGHAM?

Looking for a TALL S/STEEL smoker cabinet nr NOTTINGHAM?

Postby GUS » Sun May 24, 2015 9:53 am

Too far from me & slightly too long to get in / on a mercedes a-class.

A nice stainless steel non working upright deep freeze, simple to re-hash.

Currently @99p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221778439331?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Williams Freezer

Stainless Steel Catering/Industrial Freezer on wheels

Measurements:

32" Depth
29" Width
77" Height (including wheels)
For parts/Not working as it hasn't been tested for a while.
See Pics for Condition/Detail
Cash on Collection from Long Eaton
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Re: Looking for a TALL S/STEEL smoker cabinet nr NOTTINGHAM?

Postby wheels » Sun May 24, 2015 11:51 am

A nice find for anyone that can transport it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

It's a great buy and easy to convert into a top smoker. It's insulated all round, decent door seals and on wheels.
I have converted a breadproofer with approx. the same specs. and have fitted an external venturi smoking attachment, chimney with small fans etc etc.
If you like some photo's email me. janooms@bigpond.com
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Mon May 25, 2015 1:02 am

Try looking at a scrap yard or used reefer dealer. They usually have something like this, that is a unit that is not working with all the working guts in shambles, but they keep it to sell the SS as scrap. I've also found these at reefer dealers that take a unit in to refurb or use as parts, the cabinet is usually the last thing they want and also scrap them for SS value.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Mon May 25, 2015 6:27 pm

Sorry rod, but can you elaborate on the reefer dealer, ..what is that in uk parlance?

I found a local "catering reconditioner" up the road from me, so after the bank holiday will be picking their brains with regards to that sort of fridge / freezer, being me I would slap some more insulation around it but after all these years that's just habit.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Mon May 25, 2015 11:22 pm

Sorry, look for used appliance shops, or restaurant equipment houses in your area that deal in used equipment. They may have old stainless refrigerator/freezers that have no internal parts or were used for parts and they then just sell the cabinet for stainless scrap.
Junk or scrap dealers that deal in stainless may also have these, it takes some scrounging and running around, but you'd be surprised what you can find sometimes!
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue May 26, 2015 12:39 am

FWIW a 'reefer' is a shipping term for a refrigerated shipping container.
HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby RodinBangkok » Tue May 26, 2015 3:47 am

Among other things in the states, the term is also related to just about any refrigerator, or in the context of reefer madness something quite different! :-)
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Tue May 26, 2015 11:06 am

So, I've just bought a knackered 4 year old wine cooler on eBay for 99p!

The plan is to drill a hole in the top to make a chimney, and build a wooden base to plant it on. I may build a box around it for added insulation & aesthetic purposes. I'll be picking it up this afternoon 8)
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Tue May 26, 2015 7:43 pm

Ooh nice find!
Just remember that seal strips can be replaced & in case of any vermin, a simple fine copper mesh incorporated into your design to fit neatly against the door, & also a good idea on the chimney.

living in the country we experience a lot of rodent activity, if you can poke the tip of a pencil head in that's the size a mouse can squeeze it's skeleton down to & into! ..rats on the other hand are comfy in a 5cm diameter hole (y'know the logo on a lid of nesquik)!? ..so that's what you ought to be aware of where food & a likely outdoor hobby set up will co-exist.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.

GUS
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:10 pm

You might have to line the inside with Stainless Steel sheeting to cover the plastic.
I have a large wine fridge as a curing chamber and everything is plastic inside apart from the shelves.
The Styrofoam insulation is sufficient but if heated, can release poisoneous gases, that's the reason for the SS sheeting inside.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Thu May 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks for the tips! The copper mesh arrived today, so I'm just waiting on the last couple of bits before I get cracking. I haven't checked what it's lined with inside, but it will only be used for cold smoking so hopefully a plastic lining shouldn't be an issue. I'll investigate next week :wink:

I put another 3.5Kg of soon-to-be-bacon in the fridge today, so I'm hoping to have the smoker up and running by the time it's cured 8)
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Fri May 29, 2015 9:42 am

Some folk "might" say the copper mesh is overkill, however I'd prefer to seal up a unit as it's being made & system integrated, however when producing food outside there is always a risk in today's environment (rats LOVE getting under decking), You can be sure something will have a nosey around any air intakes or easily accessible areas.

Better safe than sorry & have a batch of smoked product that's fit for human consumption than have your hobby blamed on encouraging vermin who already live around us.

Another thing I would contemplate; track down the schematics for your fridge so you know what perishables you'll need to source, such as door strip rubber gasket seal size etc, easier to start off with the right type rather than frustratedly order 3 to use one, & just daub it in marker on the back of the unit (for instance)
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.

GUS
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Fri May 29, 2015 11:55 am

Unfortunately I've got no idea what make it is. It looks very similar to this product from CDA, but without the branding, and different button markings.

I couldn't see any branding when I collected it, but I'll have a check around the thing when I've got more time next week.

The seal looks good at the moment. The only section which is a bit out of shape is at the top, where they routed the plug lead into the cab to stop it flapping around. I'm hoping that will regain it's original shape :shock:

The mesh I was definitely going to use, but I had no idea a hungry mouse could squeeze through something THAT small, so I ended up buying the copper to replace the other stuff I had laying around :wink:
kil2k
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing