Doner kebab

Recipes for all sausages

Doner kebab

Postby moggy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:12 pm

I know there was a thread on here several years ago where someone was wanting to re-create the doner kebabs they used to buy in the UK. I have looked for it, but can't find it.
I have been in NZ for around 10 years now and I still crave the UK doner kebab. Doner kebabs are rarely offered for sale and if they are they tend to be dry and tasteless, so I would like to have a go for myself.
UK ex pat in NZ.
moggy
Registered Member

Re: Doner kebab

Postby kil2k » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:03 pm

The missus tends to buy a lot of diet books, and they usually end up in the loft after getting dusty on the kitchen shelves. However, The Hairy Bikers released a couple of diet books, and they're excellent. There is a recipe for healthy donner kebabs that we tried. The smell whilst cooking, and the taste, were absolutely incredible. Very close to the real deal, but far healthier. Here's the recipe:

https://www.hairybikersdietclub.com/rec ... ner-kebab/
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby Goaty » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Goaty
Registered Member

Postby Norman Parkinson » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:11 pm

This is so easy, and unbelievably close to UK kebab shop taste.
The best thing though (like the sausages I suppose) is that you know exactly what's in it, because you're the one that put it in there . . .

1 teaspoon plain flour
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (Morrisons call it garlic granules)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder (Morrisons call it onion granules)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
500g/1.1 lb lamb mince

Method:
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mixture, punching and kneading until no air pockets remain and the kebab meat is extremely smooth.

Shape the seasoned mince into a loaf and place on a baking tray.

Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.

Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Slice the donor kebab as thinly as possible and serve with pitta, salad and sauces.

Makes about 3 large doners.
Norman Parkinson
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes