Consistency of Mortadella

Recipes for all sausages

Consistency of Mortadella

Postby vanessap » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:28 am

Hi Everyone,

I have found a few recipes in books and two similar ones on here that have I would like to tweak a little:

- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=211&hilit=chicken+liver

On this recipe I wondered if anyone might know if prague powder one is the equivalent of cure 1 on the sausagemaking.org website? Also if anyone has tried something similar and what you think about smoking them instead of boiling them?

- http://mattikaarts.com/blog/thai-smoked-sausage/

On this recipe I would like very much to aim for a similar consistency of mortadella or the weiner recipe above. I wondered if anyone might know the answer to this - I am under the impression that its to do with adding a dried binding of milk, how finely the meat is ground and how much its mixed for emulsification before stuffing. Any thoughts, experiences or recipes would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you,
Vanessa
vanessap
Registered Member

Re: Consistency of Mortadella

Postby johngaltsmotor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:51 pm

1) Yes, Prague Powder #1 is simply a different name for Cure #1
2) You probably could smoke them until the final temperature, but with how much faster boiling is you might find that they're overpowered with smoke flavor.
3) The biggest difference between that recipe and a mortadella/weiner is going to be the emulsification process. You usually have a higher fat content in an emulsion (as you're attempting to coat the meat particles in fat) so you might want to add some extra fat. I would also read up on emulsions to prepare yourself. It is an extra step and takes some planning and preparation.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby vanessap » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:32 pm

Hi johngaltsmotor,

Thank you! May I ask if you've tried making emulsified sausages and if there was a particular recipe you liked? Also did you find the extra step of emulsion to be difficult - I've noticed that a few people have gently mentioned that it can be tough via the books and blogs I've read.

Vanessa :)
vanessap
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:51 pm

I based my attempt at mortadella and hot dogs on a recipe from a member here (I believe his name on this forum is Wheels) http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=562 I have only made it once but it was successful and everyone who tried it was surprised it was homemade.

I found the emulsion process to be easier than expected. I used a small food processor and worked in small batches (perhaps 0.5kg each). I was nervous about breaking the emulsion but had no problems.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby gsevelle » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:46 pm

johngaltsmotor wrote:I based my attempt at mortadella and hot dogs on a recipe from a member here (I believe his name on this forum is Wheels) http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=562 I have only made it once but it was successful and everyone who tried it was surprised it was homemade.

I found the emulsion process to be easier than expected. I used a small food processor and worked in small batches (perhaps 0.5kg each). I was nervous about breaking the emulsion but had no problems.

I've made two 10 lbs. batches of Mortadella over the last three months. While I have made other sausage requiring emulsification, these two batches have come out very good. In the past I did not re-chill the meat before emulsifying and think I ended up with what is called a "broken sausage". For these two batches I started with very cold rough cut meat, re-chilled the meat mixture in the freezer after grinding in a hotel tray for an hour or so before emulsifying. I am now a believer in keeping the meat as cold as possible while processing. I'm a good home food processor and do not overload the bowl when processing. The metal hotel tray will keep the meat cold on the counter while processing. After processing I return the emulsified mixture back to the freezer for an hour or so before mixing and stuffing. The final product is very tight and smooth.

I think I'm making myself hungry :drool:
The smoke is rising and the butt is brining
gsevelle
Registered Member

Postby gsevelle » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:33 pm

Wheels,

I'm planning on making Mortadella again and will be using your recipe. Since I responded to this post a couple of years ago I've started Sous Viding. Based on your recipe should I set up the sous vide for the desired internal temp 68 C. or the warming temp of 75-80 C. as you recommend in your recipe.

If anyone else has used the sous vide method please feel free the chime in.

Thanks/George
gsevelle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:26 pm

I know very little about sous vide so would cook it using the official guidance - for example as per these instructions: http://www.torbay.gov.uk/media/9853/sou ... idance.pdf

From this I can see that a core temp of 65°C for 10 minutes is safe - so I would still cook to 68°C as per the recipe and hold it there for at least 10 mins to be safe. I'm thinking that having the bath at 70°C seems to be a sensible approach.

I should add that the recipe came to me via Jason Molinari who I understand got it from a book by Paul Bertolli.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby gsevelle » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:44 pm

wheels wrote:I know very little about sous vide so would cook it using the official guidance - for example as per these instructions: http://www.torbay.gov.uk/media/9853/sou ... idance.pdf

From this I can see that a core temp of 65°C for 10 minutes is safe - so I would still cook to 68°C as per the recipe and hold it there for at least 10 mins to be safe. I'm thinking that having the bath at 70°C seems to be a sensible approach.

I should add that the recipe came to me via Jason Molinari who I understand got it from a book by Paul Bertolli.

Phil

Thanks for the reply. I will probably use the bath for cooking the sausage but will not be vacuum sealing it as it will be nice and cozy in the casing. The real issue will be knowing when core temperature is reached. I'll be using your initial guidelines on cooking time and will check temperature. The significant advantage of using Sous Vide is the fact that the cooking temperature is more precisely controlled and the food does not overcook due to exposure to higher than desired temps. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

FYI, I've signed the document now who do I send it to :lol: :lol: :lol:
gsevelle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:41 am

In that case it's not much different to how I'd cook it.

I'd put it in a big pan on a trivet with water in the bottom at about 80°C and cook it until it's internal temp is around 68°C. I'd hold it there for 10 mins or so and then cool it as quickly as I could.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby gsevelle » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:04 am

wheels wrote:In that case it's not much different to how I'd cook it.

I'd put it in a big pan on a trivet with water in the bottom at about 80°C and cook it until it's internal temp is around 68°C. I'd hold it there for 10 mins or so and then cool it as quickly as I could.

Phil

What size casing do you use and about how long does it take to come up to temp?
gsevelle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:36 pm

I used a 90mm casing and noted at the time that a 120mm would be better:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=562

I poach sausage at a very low temp, so timescales are long. I doubt this took under 3 hours.

I've not made it for ages due to a variety of reasons, but hope to do more in the New Year.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby gsevelle » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:04 pm

wheels wrote:I used a 90mm casing and noted at the time that a 120mm would be better:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=562

I poach sausage at a very low temp, so timescales are long. I doubt this took under 3 hours.

I've not made it for ages due to a variety of reasons, but hope to do more in the New Year.

Phil

Thanks for the updates. I've used 100 mm casings and have it in the Sous Vide right now. After looking at all the recipes I think that the 3 hour target is a good estimate. Have 4 in the bath at 75 C. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Again thank you for all your help.
gsevelle
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes