Pork and Apple Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Pork and Apple Sausage

Postby BriCan » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:52 am

It has been some time since I put fingers to the keyboard but I do drop in from time to time to see what is going on -- With my job changing just over three years ago things got a little easier but then again with the new location the powers to be let me have my own way and thus the creative juices started flowing once again

Still doing a lot of wholesale business I had a request from one of my clients wondering is I was able to make/do a Pork and Apple sausage this item was in my original 57 verities that I used to make in my shop years ago

I looked at the recipe and toyed with the idea of just running a 14kg batch off for the Chef, but the more I looked at it the crazier the thoughts became ... What if I used that instead of that .. and so the process went on within my mind while doing other chores .....

The main thing that I was always up against was the amount of liquid within the apple itself and usually to combat that (if one wanted a decent apple flavour) was to add some sought of binder (Rusk normally as I learned my trade in the UK) but then the nagging voices in the crevices of my mind of my mentor telling me to keep things clean

And so the process went on over the course of the day, my work table (stainless steel) started to get covered with notes written using a dry eraser marker -- Spice combinations flashing across my mind tantalizing my taste buds. A quick break and a combination of spices bended to see what aromatics unfolded .... Nice; but something was missing :(

The whole idea was to use spices that are commonly associated with apple/s and along the lines of a great homemade apple pie .. a couple more blends by tweaking the spice ratios brought it ever so close that I could taste the finished product even though we had not made anything as yet .. the sad thing was, it was lacking something to take it over the edge

Talking to a close friend at the Club where I work came up with a brilliant idea to add some Cardamon to the mix, now most know (or should know) that Cardamon should be used sparingly as it can and will overpower everything, the other reason is that it is one of the most expensive spice on the market (try buying a kg at a time like I do and see the bank account go down :( )

Now that I had the missing piece of the puzzle I quickly added and subtracted spices at the same time re-calculating the ratios/percentage of each spice so that the whole would marry and produce what my taste buds were tasting

The following is the recipe which has remained the same since it was first made, the Chef was so pleased with the outcome it has been on the menu for some time now

Meat: Pork shoulder 70/30

Spices per kg

9g Sea salt
2.2g Ground Black pepper
1.03g Ground Cinnamon
0.44g Ground Cloves
0.37g Ground Coriander
0.29g Ground Nutmeg
0.29g Ground Cardamon
40g Dehydrated Apples
88.2g marks and spencer's Bramley apple sauce **
Zest and juice of 2 fresh lemons ***

** marks and spencer's Bramley apple sauce is chunky and if one reads the fine print it has some cornstarch to bind up the liquid (gluten free)

*** Do not be like I was when the Chef suggested the lemons ... tart and sweetness balancing each other in harmony ... we use one first but it can (and does) take two well

The following is part of my HACCP sheet showing how this sausage is made

The one thing I will emphasize is that you need to make a detailed record of everything you do as there will be times that questions are asked and you will not remember what you did let alone remember what you had for tea ;)

Sausage making Procedures: Start Time:______________________

__________- Weigh out the spices according to the list above
__________- Take pork shoulder and dice up into large enough pieces to fit into the meat grinder
__________- Add the dehydrated apple chunks to the diced pork shoulder
__________- Grind the meat twice with the course plate
__________- Add the spices to the course ground meat
__________- Zest and juice two fresh lemons
__________- Mix spices in by hand
__________- Blend well but do not over mix
__________- Add the Apple sauce
__________- Blend well but do not over mix
__________- Re-grind with the medium plate
__________- Fill the sausage stuffer with the ground seasoned meat
__________- Fill into 29/32mm hog casings
__________- Link at the desired length
__________- Cut and tray
__________- Over wrap with saran and place in cooler
__________- Or place the trayed sausage into the freeze to be frozen

End Time:______________________
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Re: Pork and Apple Sausage

Postby ped » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:53 am

Thank you Robert
ped
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:21 am

The spice blend sounds terrific; thanks for sharing this. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:31 pm

Nice spicing. Are they the fully dried apples, or the ones that are just leathery?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:14 pm

wheels wrote:Nice spicing. Are they the fully dried apples, or the ones that are just leathery?

Phil

Store bought ones (out this way) so of the leathery type
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:57 pm

Thanks.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:13 am

The spice mix sounds very interesting Robert, thanks for sharing
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:24 am

BriCan wrote:Zest and juice of 2 fresh lemons ***

Sorry for asking but after reading your recipe again, that seems like a lot of lemon for a kilo of mince. Is that right?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:07 am

DanMcG wrote:
BriCan wrote:Zest and juice of 2 fresh lemons ***

Sorry for asking but after reading your recipe again, that seems like a lot of lemon for a kilo of mince. Is that right?

You are right Dan, working from my main computer and not the laptop where all the recipes are -- that was for 11.340kg batch
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:58 pm

thanks Robert, Stuff happens.
I'm still hoping to try these and a number of other recipes but having trouble finding the time to do anything other then work and survive the heat around here this summer. Hopefully soon I can post some sausage pic's
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Ploppy321 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:01 pm

Good afternoon Brican,

Are you still around. I have a few questions for you if you are. Calling from Scotland
Kind regards John
Ploppy321
Newly Registered

Return to Sausage Recipes