Salting/Curing Pork/Beef for long term *room temp* storage?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Salting/Curing Pork/Beef for long term *room temp* storage?

Postby efeist » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:58 pm

This is a partly practical question (I have a tiny freezer/fridge, and no room for a bigger one), and partly one of historical/theoretical interest...

If one was looking to "cure" (and I mean any process except making jerky, really...) whole muscle/cut beef or pork for "room temperature" storage in a climate where that means from 38 degrees F up to about 67 degrees F in the middle of summer (far-northern coastal California...). And keeping in mind that it won't pass 60 again until May... What would be a process to use?

I have actually made "salt pork" in a brine in the fridge, and it worked very well... it's been in the fridge since August, but I have no desire to try room temp storage, since I didn't "do" that batch with that in mind.

I have made "corned beef" (Salt beef) also, but also not with strictly storage in mind...

What recipe's could one safely use to store beef or pork at room temp for long periods that a not terribly well equipped, but careful, and a little short on space, DIY'er do?

What are practical limits, given more modern "how to not die of food poisoning" knowledge, of storing salted meat? Would a "barrel of salted pork" or "keg of salt beef" that once supplied a ships company for months long sea voyages be reproducible today, without risk of being a fancy way to suicide by botulinum toxin?

Sorry if this question sounds a little broad... I have too many different concepts in my brain that I'm trying to reconcile.

Thanks in advance for any leads, discussion, or rational argument why it would be dangerous to pursue!

Paul F.
efeist
Registered Member

Re: Salting/Curing Pork/Beef for long term *room temp* stora

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:21 pm

The options seem to be:

Pickle the meat and keep it 'under salt'

or

Cure and air-dry the meat - as in Parma ham etc.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby efeist » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:23 am

It does help me narrow my focus, thank you!

I think it's safe to say I have a lot of reading to do before I start anything...

If anyone has links to old recipes intended for "months" of room temp storage, I'd be happy to read them! Unfortunately, googling "salt pork" comes up with modern recipes, and "salt beef" comes up with "corned beef" recipes.

The pickling idea strikes my fancy.. just from the term, so I'll start my studying there.

Paul F.
efeist
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:59 pm

I think that the problem with the pickled pork/salted pork method of storage is that it was done for keeping quality rather than taste. The meat would have been incredibly salty unless it was soaked for days in numerous changes of water.

Air dried meat seems to be the way to go. Once the product has been made and dried it should be shelf stable.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby efeist » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:47 pm

Coincidentally, I just picked up some loins to make Lonzino/Lomo with...
So I'll be doing that too.
The pickling still (overly salty or not) piques my interest, not sure why.
efeist
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques