Boulevard's Pork and Mushroom Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Boulevard's Pork and Mushroom Sausage

Postby NCPaul » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:16 pm

This recipe is found in Bruce Aidells's Complete Book of Pork by Bruce Aidells with Lisa Weiss (ISBN 0-06-050895-7). I've put my changes and amounts in brackets.

12 garlic cloves [9 cloves, 23 g]
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound cremini, portabello, or fresh porcini mushrooms [314 g cremini]
1 cup chopped onions [135 g]
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 pounds boston butt, cut into 3/4-inch-wide strips [1000 g total meat plus fat]
1/2 pound pork back fat, cut into 3/4-inch-wide strips
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage [2 g]
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil [0.5 g dried]
2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley [4 g]
1 tablespoon kosher salt [19 g]
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper [4 g]

1. Put 8 of the garlic cloves and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil in a small microwaveable container, cover, and micrfowave on high for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 F,
3. Slice the remaining 4 garlic cloves and toss them in a bowl with the whole mushrooms, the onions, the remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons oil, a sprinkling of salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Scrap the mushroom mixture and all the oil into a roasting pan and roast in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. Stir and roast for 5 minutes more until the mushrooms are soft and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
4. Using a meat grinder fitted with a 3/8 inch plate, grind the pork and roasted mushroom mixture into a bowl and refrigerate. Change to the 1/8 inch plate and grind the fat and the reserved cooked garlic and its oil. Combine the ground mixtures in a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients with 1 tablespoon kosher salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.

I found this to be a terrific sausage with a great mushroom flavor. It also had a good balance of garlic, herbs and salt. The mixture is slightly wet from the vegetables. I put it into sheep casings and also made 4 oz. patties for breakfast sandwiches.

Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Boulevard's Pork and Mushroom Sausage

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:35 am

I have his Complete Sausage Book and look forward to trying some of the recipes. Many are very different to what we would get over here, but they look to be 'well crafted' from what I can judge without having made them.

Were the patties as good as they look?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:46 am

Interesting recipe and procedure. I've never tried using fresh mushrooms in a sausage but this one sounds excellent. Thanks for sharing it Paul.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:48 pm

Patties are great for my Monday morning breakfast because I can defrost them and fry them in the same time as it takes to make toast. These I think will be great with an egg or a slice of Swiss cheese added. The next time you make bacon and you have the trimmings and scrapy slices, consider Aidells' hunters sausage as well.

I think you will really like it Dan if you use cremini mushrooms; they will still have a bit of texture in this sausage.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:07 pm

I think that even a little bit of porcini (even reconstituted dried porcini) would add a massive flavour boost?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Wish I thought of it! :D
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Snags » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:30 am

wheels wrote:I think that even a little bit of porcini (even reconstituted dried porcini) would add a massive flavour boost?

Phil

I run my dried out mushrooms (in paper bags in the fridge) through the coffee grinder and use it as a seasoning,it would work well here.
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes