An apple based sausage recipe

Recipes for all sausages

Re: An apple based sausage recipe

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:43 pm

I like Brican's touch of adding some lemon - I assume the finely grated rind? It should cut through any sweetness nicely.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby pepe500 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:02 pm

This recipe looks great!!! would you mind giving the specifics of it? quantities and such....

Also I looked at pork and apple recipe that had Jarlsberg cheese, went out bought the dried apples and cheese but for the life of me could not find were I saw the recipe. does anyone know of this ??

THANKS

BriCan wrote:
wheels wrote: Does the M & S sauce have an acidity regulator? I can't seem to find the ingredients online.

I've never used anything personally to control acidity in a Pork and Apple.

I will have take a look at the ingredients to see what is ...

Myself have never as yet had to use anything to control acidity in any of my sausages, I might be lucky on that score

I use dried apple slices as I like the chunkiness/texture it imparts, the apple sauce (M&M being the best i can get out this way for having pieces and not being overly wet) the liquid part. I try and keep things as simple as possible when creating recipes

The following is what I use

Dehydrated apple slices as they are as i mince the second time with a 12mm plate

Spices, salt, apple sauce and lemon

Finished product
pepe500
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:22 pm

I would think that the Jarlsberg one is an adaption of:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2978&p=108165&hilit=jarlsberg#p108165

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby sevorg » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:26 am

Well, I've finally made the full batch with a slight modifications to the quantities and method.

Decreased apple content to 25%
Increased rusk to 12.5%
Strong dry cider (6.6% ABV 2015 vintage) 10%
Salt 1.15%
White pepper 0.2%
Fresh rosemary 0.134%
Dried sage 0.067%
This time we mined the apples for convenience as 500g was a lot to chop finely. 7mm plate

The tasting notes: A much smoother sausage, lacking the apple texture from the trial batch that used chopped apple. There was a very significant reduction in apple taste, and they were much less sweet and fruity, possibly due to me using a stronger vintage cider rather than last years fruity 5.8% ABV. Herbs were still subtle despite doubling the quantities from the trial batch.

Conclusion: Not a bad sausage, but not as good as the trial batch, probably on a par with commercial ones, but not up to my expectations. They also had a slight twang to them which I put down to using the strong vintage cider. Most testers liked them but they were not raved about like my other recipes. I admit to making these more out of interest as the ingredients were available in abundance rather than being a fan of this type of sausage. I've had pork and apple when visiting friends but have never personally bought them in the past as they are not a favourite. I will keep my notes and possibly have another go this time next year because the trial batch were good.
sevorg
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:20 pm

I'd have a play with ratios using 100gm samples and frying them or wrapping in cling film, tying off, and poaching them. Maybe even try apple juice - the sausage might need a preservative though to avoid fermentation.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby sevorg » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:03 pm

Cheers Phil, I've ordered one of these off the bay, item 302279897262 as it's dead cheap at £4, even if it turns out to be junk. It looks suitable for some small, sub 500g trial batches. I'll post a review when it turns up.

Tom
sevorg
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:14 pm

That should be fine - there was a thread on here a good while back about making something similar from diy tools.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes