Chicken Sausage Dilemma

Recipes for all sausages

Chicken Sausage Dilemma

Postby thankswayne » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:11 am

I have some friends who are, let's say, "pork intolerant". There are a number of great chicken based sausage recipes here that I would like to try. Here's the problem. Most of the pictures I see posted look fantastic, but appear as if the sausage is stuffed into a natural casing. I've made a lot of sausage, and the size of the sausage in the picture would indicate a hog casing. So there's the contradiction. Not totally correct to define it as a chicken sausage if it's stuffed into a hog casing, and likely the casing fails the dietary restriction. Sheep casings are not a great option, too small. I've recently bought some collagen casings to experiment with. Has anybody out there every tried them?
thankswayne
Registered Member

Re: Chicken Sausage Dilemma

Postby DanMcG » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:34 am

I've used a lot of collagen with good results. they are more work since you need to tie each link. Just be sure you get edible collagen casings.
You might want to try cellulose casings too, they are stripped off too give you a skinless product.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby harleykids » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:07 am

I have used every casing on the planet, they all work for different things, some better, some worse.
For your dilemma, you can use collagen casings. Don't even have to tie them off, just stuff the collagen casing like an endless tube and then cut your links to length when done! easy!

Or better yet, just make the sausage and don't stuff it into casings! Just form it into bulk patties! then they can have a chicken sausage "burger" or patty, and leave the hog casing sausages to the folks without dietary restrictions! Nothing is as good as a hog casing unfortunately....nature makes the best casing!

Here is my chicken spinach feta sausage recipe....it is FANTASTIC and super easy. Always a favorite sausage at parties.

Chicken Spinach Feta Sausages

Ingredients for 1kg (2.20 lbs) meat (boneless skinless chicken thighs):

170g (6 oz) feta cheese crumbles
100g (3.50 oz) spinach
42g (1.50 oz) onion,
12g (2-½ tsp salt)
1.5g (1/3 tsp) marjoram
3g (3/4 tsp) white pepper,
10g (2 tsp) non-instant skim milk powder
2g (1/2 tsp)garlic powder
25ml (5 tsp) water.

Grind chicken thighs with 7mm plate, then add salt, spices, crumbled feta, coarsely chopped spinach and diced onion.

Add the water, mix everything until it sticks to your hand, then stuff into hog casings, collagen casings, make into bulk patties, burgers, whatever form you choose!

Grill over medium heat.
harleykids
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Looks good - thanks for posting this recipe.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Sausage Recipes