What else are you doing?

Introductions and chatter

Re: What else are you doing?

Postby dps51 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:31 pm

well just made two meat loaf and also made 2kg of beef and beer (light ale) sausages
Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up
dps51
Registered Member

Postby dps51 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:38 pm

wheels wrote:What's the recipe/method for the cucumbers please?

Phil

this what I do with my extra cucumbers so they don't go on the compost

http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/ ... &submit=Go
Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up
dps51
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu May 31, 2018 2:05 pm

Many thanks. I tend to use them in Piccalilli but am interested in making fermented pickles.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby golfermd » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:07 pm

Love growing our own maters, all but one is open pollinated (OP). It's one from Japan and interested in seeing how it does here in MD. I'm a Master Gardener in charge of the tomatoes at a demo garden so I'm always trying new varieties. I've grown F1 (hybrid) tomatoes a few times but have found they are just as susceptible to fungus as OP tomatoes are and really don't produce much better either. Fungus is the biggest problem here in the Mid-Atlantic area. By their nature tomatoes ideally in the mid-80's. However, those temperatures aren't a reality here with the high 80's to high 90's during the summer.
Dan

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends..." ELP
golfermd
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:05 pm

golfermd wrote:Love growing our own maters, all but one is open pollinated (OP). It's one from Japan and interested in seeing how it does here in MD. I'm a Master Gardener in charge of the tomatoes at a demo garden so I'm always trying new varieties. I've grown F1 (hybrid) tomatoes a few times but have found they are just as susceptible to fungus as OP tomatoes are and really don't produce much better either. Fungus is the biggest problem here in the Mid-Atlantic area. By their nature tomatoes ideally in the mid-80's. However, those temperatures aren't a reality here with the high 80's to high 90's during the summer.

Sounds interesting! I am growing the following heirloom tomatoes this year, the first two I picked up while in Russia and Ukraine:

Black Krim - A black tomato from Crimea.

Azoychka - Russian yellow tomato.

Purple Bumble Bee - Striped cherry tomato.

Carmello - Red, round fist sized tomatoes from Western Europe.

Camp Joy - Large cherry tomatoes, very prolific.

Spitze - Italian plum/paste style tomato.

Tennessee Britches - Large dark pink beefsteak tomato.

Chocolate Stripes - Striped red and black tomato.
Last edited by ComradeQ on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:07 pm

wheels wrote:Many thanks. I tend to use them in Piccalilli but am interested in making fermented pickles.

Phil

I made a fermented pickled onion last year that blew my socks off. I just pulled some out of the back of the fridge with some homemade pork pie and I can't get enough, these are even better after a year!

This is the recipe I used: http://www.gratefullynourished.com/nour ... nions.html. I fermented a bit longer than the recipe suggested, maybe a week on the counter then into the fridge to slow the fermentation. Once the onions had pickled in the fridge for a bit I added around 100ml of good malt vinegar to the mix (Sarsons being my malt of choice ... the Brit in me insisted that I had to add malt vinegar). After resting for a month it was great, after a year being forgotten in the back of the fridge it was great! I have to admit these are probably the best pickled onions I have ever had.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter