sausage skins

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

sausage skins

Postby dps51 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:25 am

hi guys and gals
tried using collagen skins
so why do the collagen sausage skins split when I try to twist link them
Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up
dps51
Registered Member

Re: sausage skins

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:26 am

They have almost no stretch capacity, unlike natural casings. I've found if I want to link them, it's best to pinch the sausage as it's coming out of the stuffer where I want to link it later. Some others extrude the sausage as a continuous length, the after allowing the sausage and casing to set overnight in the fridge, cut it into links with open ends. There are some trade offs to using the far more affordable casings.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: sausage skins

Postby dps51 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:00 am

NCPaul wrote:They have almost no stretch capacity, unlike natural casings. I've found if I want to link them, it's best to pinch the sausage as it's coming out of the stuffer where I want to link it later. Some others extrude the sausage as a continuous length, the after allowing the sausage and casing to set overnight in the fridge, cut it into links with open ends. There are some trade offs to using the far more affordable casings.

many thanks will give that a go
Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up
dps51
Registered Member

Return to Beginners