Generating smoke at low heat

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Generating smoke at low heat

Postby SteveDenvir » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:37 pm

New guy here with a question. So far, I've successfully made kielbasa and summer sausage, but I'm finding smoking a real challenge.

My problem is that I'm starting the cooking/smoking process at 110-120, but my smoker won't generate any smoke at that heat. so I've been cranking up the heat with the door open, and then once my wood chips are going, I close the door. But the heat is always more than recommended. And I also have to adjust it every 10 minutes.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve
SteveDenvir
Newly Registered

Re: Generating smoke at low heat

Postby ComradeQ » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:31 am

Best option is to utilize a smoke generator for cold smoking. I use an A-MAZE-N Smoker for any cold/lower temperature smokes and it works really well! I know our UK friends on this site tend to use a ProQ Smoker as it is what is more easily available across the pond. Either will do the job and they both more or less work the same by burning fine wood shavings or pellets (I like to use pellets). I use mine for 100% of my sausage/bacon smokes. In my Masterbuilt 40" electric I don't even use the stock smoke feeder anymore as my A-MAZE-N Smoker just works better.

http://www.amazenproducts.com
https://www.proqsmokers.com/cold-smokers

And welcome to the forum! :D
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:34 am

Welcome to the forum. :D ComradeQ is right, it's best to make heating and smoke generation two separate things. The other moderator here, wheels, wrote a guide to smoking and BBQ on his blog here:
http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?p=smo ... bq-options
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi Steve. Welcome.

We are a World wide forum. If you give some indication of where you are in your profile - Country will do - members can be of more help.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby SteveDenvir » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi Phil, I'm in Canada. And thank you everyone for the help. I picked up my A-Maze_n smoker this morning. Looking forward to trying it out.

Steve
SteveDenvir
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 pm

:D :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ComradeQ » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:02 pm

SteveDenvir wrote:Hi Phil, I'm in Canada. And thank you everyone for the help. I picked up my A-Maze_n smoker this morning. Looking forward to trying it out.

Steve

Good call! You will be happy with that. Just make sure to buy a good butane torch, I find heating the one end with a torch for a minute or two, letting the resulting flame burn for 5 minutes, blowing out the flame and letting it smoke to be the best way to ensure a good 12 hour burn. If you are looking for a shorter smoke you can only fill a section of the maze up, save on your wood usage.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques