Dry Cure Pastrami Recipe

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Dry Cure Pastrami Recipe

Postby jagi00 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:19 am

I would like to make some pastrami using a small piece of topside (around 1kg) and would prefer to use a dry cure rather than brine and injection that seem to be used in most recipes. Thinking of using a lower salt version of the localfood heroes.co.uk bacon calculator and experimenting with the spices and botanicals in the various brine and crust recipes but would appreciate some advice.
Thanks
John
jagi00
Registered Member

Re: Dry Cure Pastrami Recipe

Postby NCPaul » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:54 am

This thread links to some options:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12769&hilit=Corned
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:01 pm

I've just done a piece of silverside weighing 1.4kg with a combination 6% injection and dry cure. It's due to be cured next week, but I may leave it longer.

The calculator can be used for dry cures other than bacon. For pastrami, reduce the sugar and salt and add whatever herbs and spices you want. My experience with beef is that it doesn't cure as well as pork with a dry cure - hence why I pump it - be sure to give it plenty of time to both cure and equalise.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby jagi00 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:48 am

Thanks Phil, I was hoping to avoid injecting as previous experience injecting ‘low & slow’ meat was a very messy procedure. I will stick to a dry cure this time as it will be quite a small piece. Regarding cure and equalising times, I assume that the bacon rules will apply.
Cheers
John
jagi00
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Yes, but I'd allow plenty of time - I always find that beef is slower to cure than pork. It maybe my imagination, but I'm convinced it does.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby jagi00 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:17 am

I gave it extra cure and stabilising time as you advised Phil and then smoked it at 110C until an internal temp of 72C - crust was a simple black pepper, coriander and paprika rub and it has turned out superb! Thanks to all for the advice. I have some pics but not sure how to add them.
jagi00
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Glad it was good. We can't host pictures so you have to link to them and host them elsewhere.

There's instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8025

How up to date they are is anyone's guess - if you have problems just shout!
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Recipes for cured meats