22 hrs. pH = 5.5
46 hrs. pH = 5.05

10/10 1350 g
10/24 1129 g 16.4 %
11/4 1033 g 24.5 %
11/12 988 g 26.8 %
11/23 932 g 31 %
12/9 874 g 35.3 %

A very pleasant salami; the taste of the cardamon is subtle but there. A light touch with the black pepper as well. I think this salami will make a delicious sandwich on a crusty bread.

Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Polish Salami

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Boy Oh Boy, you really have the production of salami nailed Paul. A superb job as always.

Are you doing an overnight development of myosin?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:01 pm

You bring up an interesting point about bind in salamis. The sausage meat needs to be stuffed tightly and air bubbles released but a good bind works against drying. I have sometimes (when I remember) added the curing salt the night before to aid with grinding but don't add the bulk of the salt early as I do with fresh sausages. Likewise mixing to get a good bind will lead to fat smearing and inhibit drying. I can't recall where I came across this bit of useful info.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:12 pm

As they say: "Every day's a school day". Thanks Paul
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:58 am

I'll use that at work. :D
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby vinner » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Looks great. Both the recipe and the product!
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby spudie » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:58 am

Here I go again, some of my salami testers have been very dark red, almost heading towards the black once fully dried. I have never had a product that looks so professional like yours. Secret !!!!!
Cure #2 used, last one was in Umali skins and cured for 24hrs under plastic wrap then into fridge set at 14C.
Can send recipe if it helps, but very interested in "colour achieved" rgds Spud
spudie
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:45 am

What fermentation culture are you using? I think it might help you to start small with snack sticks then work your way up to larger diameter salamis.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby spudie » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:30 am

Bactoferm T-SPX that is stored in freezer.
Looking at the local temp reports we have av high of 23C with highs of very high 30C. low temps can go down to 9C but av is 18C over a 12 month period. I try and make my fermented products in cooler months and do start the ferment with products sealed in plastic sitting on kitchen bench for min 12-24hrs. I do not have PH testing available but do seal up "out of stuffer" samples and test sample for smell, texture, colour changes and when the sample feels, looks and smells like a changed product I hang in fridge and try to maintain 12-15C with >75% humidity.

I do agree, I should have started with learning the craft better and as suggested - make smaller dia products - eg snack sticks.

You have some exciting, tempting recipes in your Fermented Snack Stick Recipes posts.
Also I do need to better control the drying stage.
Open for any and all suggestions. Spud Oz
spudie
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:15 pm

T-SPX is a relatively slow acidifier, I would lengthen the fermentation time to 2 days and use 0.5 % glucose. These are recommendations from the manufacturer from their data. If the salami is cooled too soon the pH may be higher than you wish. All sorts of salami recipes can be modified to make snack sticks; I use them to test ideas before investing a lot of time and meat.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby spudie » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:17 am

Thanks, so is the fermentation time ( pH drop) directly related to end colour or is the type of Culture used along with time responsible for the end colour. Is the Glucose used to extend the fermentation after dextrose is used up or in the recipe above is the glucose replacing dextrose as a better food source for bacteria.
My fridge where I do my drying in isnt the best. Previously I had a frost free set up - but that failed,
I'm due the replace that so I think its best I sort out my set up first before getting into serious fermentation and drying. Need to read and research .
Also I will be working my way through your many posts on fermented snack sticks as homework.
They all look fantastic, some of the ingredients are interesting as well.
Thanks again - Spud Oz
spudie
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:23 pm

The pH drop will facilitate the reaction of nitrite with the myoglobin. There are some cultures that have bacteria that should improve the color (T-SPX is not one of them). Glucose = dextrose. :D
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby spudie » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:33 am

Thanks for the reminder that Glucose = Dextrose, that one went to the catcher. :(
I am reading "The Art Of Making Fermented Sausage" where starter cultures & fermentation are explained in depth. Have to admit the reading is pretty heavy going but I'm hoping to at least retain some knowledge.
One more question if I can please, ref the above recipe that you have adapted from the above book.
You used has Culture SafePro F-LC, to help my understanding can you please explain the change from T-SPX.
My thinking is if I'm going to do this right I'd better get the basic's right other than just following a printed recipe.
Many thanks - Spud
spudie
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:57 pm

I have used both and for the conditions I use for fermentation, closed oven with a tray of hot water about 70 F, I liked how F-LC worked and tasted. Also, I'm only going to buy one culture per year. :D I think there is different optimum conditions for each and you should consider that first. The acidity is related to the amount of glucose but it's important to remember that pH is a log scale.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby spudie » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:38 am

"The Art Of Making Fermented Sausage"
Reading and absorbing the above has truly enlightened me.
Cant wait to finish and put some of this amazing knowledge into practice.
Thanks to this forum for the insights and assistance, hoping to be able to present future efforts in picture
records. Spudie Oz
spudie
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes