Suitable dehumidifier

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Suitable dehumidifier

Postby PJS » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi

I've only just started to dry cure meat although, I've been making my own bacon and ham for some time. I experimented with an Italian method using the fridge but wasn't happy with the result. I think the UK climate in the North Pennines is too damp, (92% at present) and the fridge temperature too cool on its highest setting.

So I'm converting a frost free fridge to a curing chamber. I've read a few posts that recommend a Peltier system dehumdifier. They seem compact enough but I understand they have a limited temperature range and wouldn't work at around 12°C. Could anyone recommend a suitable method of achieving a reasonable humidity, either by natural means or a suitable small dehumidifier? My aim is to control the temperature with a Hummingbird controller and install a fan on a timer. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
PJS
Registered Member

Re: Suitable dehumidifier

Postby NCPaul » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:45 am

I use that type so I'm not sure about the reasoning against using one. The other moderator here uses a heater to force the fridge to turn on which dries the air that way. Good luck with your project and welcome to the forum. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby PJS » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:54 am

Hi, thanks for the reply and welcome. I've found a few pages online that point up the disadvantages of the Peltier system and didn't want to commit to buying one. I intend to use a heater element as part of the build so will put it together and check the humidity range before buying.
PJS
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:31 pm

Make sure that you check it when there's product in it. There's a massive difference between empty and full. FWIW, my build starts here:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?p=convert-fridge

The humidity section is here:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=782

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby PJS » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks Phil, I've had a quick look and will try that method. I'm using an Inkbird temp controller. Would you mind giving me an idea of the temperature range I should be looking for to make it work? I take your point about the chamber being full and will monitor it, although I'll only be using small quantities initially.
PJS
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:54 pm

10 - 15°C is the usual quoted figures. Most of us find that 12°C seems to work well.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby PJS » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Many thanks again Phil. I appreciate the advice. If my conversion is successful I'll certainly let you know.
PJS
Registered Member

Postby PJS » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:52 pm

wheels wrote:10 - 15°C is the usual quoted figures. Most of us find that 12°C seems to work well.

Phil

Update.

Everthing's installed and running, apart from the fan. The temperature is running at 11.5°C to 15.5°C with humidity reading 45 - 50%. It's been steady for the last two days. I'll fit the fan when I have the fixing bolts. Fingers Xd there are no cable or pipe runs in the way.
PJS
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:00 pm

Be careful with a fan - you need only a very small air flow - opening the fridge door daily will suffice. It's so easy to get case hardening if you use a fan.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:47 am

I like the "check on the salami" method as well. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Beginners