Saveloys

Recipes for all sausages

Saveloys

Postby Oddley » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:07 pm

Does anyone have a recipe or link to a recipe for the great British Saveloy? I have seen a few recipies from America but these don't seem to be right.

Any help much appriciated.
Oddley
Registered Member

British Saveloy Recipe

Postby Parson Snows » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:08 pm

The following is a saveloy recipe copied verbatim from the original Butchers� Book (UK , Circa 1938)

Saveloy Recipe
8 lbs Lean Beef , Pork etc.
2 lbs Pork Fat
4 lbs Rusk (soaked)
� lb liquid smoke powder

Place beef, pork, soaked rusk etc,. into machine and chop well, then add seasoning and smoke powder, and colour with Indian Red. Fill into pig skins and boil for 20 minutes in water to which has previously been added one-eighth oz. Bismark Brown, or they may be coloured the same way as Polonies, either with Saupolon or Bismark Brown, or may be hung in the Smoke House to smoke. To soak the Rusk, put the 2 lbs of rusk to 2 quarts of cold water; stir gently round and allow a little time for the rusk to absorb all the water. Some makers also add a little dry rusk whilst chopping the Mixture in Sausage Machine.

Another method is to use salt Beef, Pork, Lights, Rind, Pig�s Cheeks etc. The Meat should be partially boiled and chopped as finely as possible, and 4 lbs of Rusk to every 18 lbs block of Meat. Fill into skins and cook gently for about 20 minutes, and colour in the same way as Polonies, either with Saupolon or Bismark Brown.

Saveloy Seasonings

No. 1
4 lbs. Gnd. White Pepper
4 ozs. � Ginger
3 ozs. � Sage
2 ozs. � Cinnamon
9 lbs. Fine Salt

No. 2
3 lbs. Gnd. White Pepper
4 ozs. � Mace
6 ozs. � Sage
7 � lbs. Fine Salt

No. 3
1 lb. Gnd. White Pepper
� ozs. � Cayenne
1 � ozs. � Mace
2 ozs. � Sage
2 � lbs. Fine Salt

No. 4
3 lbs. Gnd. White Pepper
2 ozs. � Cayenne
4 ozs. � Ginger
6 ozs. � Sage
7 � lbs Fine Salt

No. 5
1 lb. Gnd. White Pepper
1 oz. � Cayenne
� oz. � Cloves
2 � lbs. Fresh Salt

Use � oz. of any of the above Seasonings to each 1 lb. of Saveloy Meat.

These Seasonings may be improved by adding 4 ozs. Paprika, along with the Spices, to every 7 lbs. of Ground White Pepper.

Hope that this is some use to you.

Kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:33 pm

Thank you very much Parson Snows. I've been looking for a saveloy recipe for years now without sucsess.

The reason being is when I was a kid I used to go with my grandmother to a market near to me and visit a butchers called Murreys. Every saturday they used to make saveloys and pease pudding, these were the best saveloys I have ever tasted.

Now that I am older (52) and Murreys closed many years ago. I want to recreate the recipe. Even if these recipies are not exactly the Murreys one it gives me a very good starting point. So yes it helps a lot thanks again.

If I do manage to recreate the recipe. I will be happy to share my good fortune by posting the recipe on this forum.
Oddley
Registered Member

British Saveloy Recipe

Postby Parson Snows » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:23 pm

I'm glad that you think that it might help. I've just found another one from a later British book (trade publication ) called Sausage and Small Goods Production - 1972 and believe it or not it has a recipe for Saveloy and then the following recipe is for pease pudding. I just find it a shame that both these recipes are under the chapter "Utilization of Waste". I'll post this in a day or so. Remember being 52 years old always beats the alternative.

Kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

British Saveloy Recipe

Postby Parson Snows » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:29 pm

Copied verbatim from Sausage and Small Goods Production (1972)

Saveloys

12 lb lean beef or pork pieces or similar meat
3 lb pork fat
5 lb rusk weighed after soaking and fairly dry
� oz stock seasoning to each lb of meat and fat

Stock Seasoning
19 lb salt
8 lb ground white pepper
6 oz ground ginger
2 oz ground mace
2 oz ground cinnamon

Method
Pass the meat through the fine plate of the mincer and take to the bowl chopper. Add seasoning, rusk, and finally the fat. Fill out into hog casings, but do not link them. Twist them first to the right, and the second to the left, and so on, to prevent them becoming untwisted. Smoke in a warm dense smoke for about half an hour and cook for 15 minutes at a temperature of 175 �F. Alternatively, if the saveloys are not to be smoked, add to the recipe 2 oz. of smoke powder and cook them in a dye.

Pease pudding recipe posted tomorrow

Kind Regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:48 pm

Very nice Parson Snows. I'll look forward to the pease pudding recipe. If you don't mind me asking where did you come by all this knowledge. Most of us here seem to be stuggling to aquire the knowledge that you have.
Oddley
Registered Member

Saveloy Recipes

Postby Parson Snows » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:22 am

I was born and bred in pubs (my father was a cook) and in my youth I was a butcher's mate. At present I am a partner of a small sausage kitchen.

For the last 12 years I have been putting together a book on the
history of sausages and their effect on diets, society etc. Needless to say
that it's nowhere near complete, but what ever is? Any help would be
appreciated with full credit being given. I'd just really like to get it
out there.

I'm personally interested in old sausage recipes, preferably from published
books- though individual/family recipes would also get a once over. I have
numerous books from 1615 upwards with various sausage recipes and
instructions included and would be more than willing to post some of these
in return.

Now you know
Kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby deb » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:27 pm

I would like to add my thanks for the Saveloy recipes Parson Snows. Like Oddley I remember saveloys from my childhood but since my hubby once told me what was reputedly in them I can't bring myself to eat them anymore. I will add this to my list of recipes to try.
deb
Registered Member

Saveloy Recipes

Postby Parson Snows » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:52 pm

I know that this not concerned with sausages but I did promise it the other day to go along with the Saveloy recipes, so here goes.

*** verbatim text follows

Pease Pudding
In some districts there is a demand for pease pudding as a n adjunct to faggots and saveloys. It can be prepared as follows. Obtain a canvas bag � these can be obtained from supply houses specially for the purpose � and fill it not more than two-thirds full of pearl split peas, to allow for swelling. Tie off the neck securely and lower it gently into a copper of boiling water; keep the water boiling and continue cooking for about 3 hours. Turn out the peas into a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste, and mix in sufficient stock to obtain the right consistency, mixing thoroughly with a wooden ladle. Some people prefer to add margarine instead of stock, using about 1 lb. to each 8 lb. of pease (dry weight).
The container should be turned inside out immediately after use, placed in soak, and thoroughly cleaned and allowed to dry before being used again.
With some classes of pease it is desirable to soak overnight prior to cooking, this will of course reduce the cooking time to a certain extent.

*** verbatim text ends

Hope that this is of some use
Kind Regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:32 pm

I seem to do nothing but thank you Parson Snows.

Now I have the full set by this I mean that in the era from whence I came Faggots saveloy and pease pudding was the meal of choice on a saturday. As my wife from a child lived in the same area as me she is the one I have secured the faggot and pease pudding recipies for, as I never liked them. I was only a saveloy fan.
Oddley
Registered Member

Saveloy Recipes

Postby Parson Snows » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:09 pm

I haven't posted any faggot recipes though if people are interested I certainly can. I don't know how old you are but in the past a lot of crap when into a lot of products (TRUST ME). What you have to look at now is the government's keen to clamp down etc, and the punters are moving away from "she-iyt" food. The sausage trade certainly in the UK is taking off again. Just look at the likes of Simply Sausages, Bill O'Hagan, Stroffs Speciality Sausages etc. all making "QUALITY SAUSAGES"

Kind Regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:14 am

Thanks for the offer of a Faggot recipe. I already have a cracking one

Click here to see it. It's tried and tested by me.

Then real test of the recipe was serving them to my daughter who would not normally entertain any idea of eating offal she did not notice that there was offal in them and we have not told her. I even like them (not too often) and I don't normally like Faggots.
Oddley
Registered Member

saveloy sausages

Postby Del » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:19 pm

in the recipe for saveloy sausages I noticed that the spice recipe contained 19lbs.of salt and 8 lbs.of pepper,excuse my ignorance in such matters but does this all go into the mixture? It's just that is as much as the meat content,thanks Del
Del
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:19 pm

Hi Del welcome to the forum.

If you look at the recipe you will see that it's 1/2 oz stock seasoning per 1lb of meat and fat.

Parson Snows wrote:12 lb lean beef or pork pieces or similar meat
3 lb pork fat
5 lb rusk weighed after soaking and fairly dry
� oz stock seasoning to each lb of meat and fat

Stock Seasoning
19 lb salt
8 lb ground white pepper
6 oz ground ginger
2 oz ground mace
2 oz ground cinnamon

I hope this clarify's things.
Oddley
Registered Member

Saveloys

Postby Parson Snows » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:41 pm

Oddley's dead right. Typically you include 1/2 oz per pound of mix, or 15 g per 500 g. The recipe given is for commercial use. If you have gram scales or powder scales, just scale down the quantities. Everyone has different tastes and these recipes are for a starting point only.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes